Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Patriot owners, feel free to comment

Old 07-28-2003, 08:50 PM
nub

Default Patriot owners, feel free to comment

Or anyone else for that matter. Chime in with any help you can offer.

Let me start out by saying, I now have well over 500 shots thru this thing in the 3 days I' ve owned it. I can' t get the thing tuned because Murphy just keeps getting in my way. I installed a MZE rest on it at the proshop I purchased the bow from. The shop owner never installed one before so I figured I' d save a little time since I' ve installed my own a couple times before. I then eyeballed nock set and centershot and proceeded to shoot 3 of the purdyest bullet holes thru paper you' d ever want to see. I still wasn' t too concerned with tuning because I wanted to get used to the bow a bit more.
After I got home and took a few more warm up shots, I started to group tune for my loop location. With the MZE, I' ll make fine adjustments to the set screw on the turnbuckle arm. Groups just kept getting good then bad. I recheck for level through the mounting hole and realise, my loop has been walking up the string. So I take it in and serve in some dental floss. Problem solved.

Back working on the horizontal group and getting real tight when.....bink, I get a flyer 2 ft. out! Thought I just had a brain fart so I start to really concentrate on form and the whole works. Groups are getting bigger and the occasional flyer is still happening. The flyer is never the same arrow. I start to try different grips and stances. Let me tell you, never grip a Pat dually at 70 lbs. tight. [] Only tried that once. I knew it was not the thing to do, but I' m getting flustered.

Some where in the second day, while still fighting for a decent group,.... plop, out comes the cable guard. I also think it was about this time I noticed the first star silencer had dissapeared. My first attempt at re-installing the cable guard failed because I didn' t realize I needed to remove the outer screw to get at the set screw inside the risor. Now I know.problem solved.

Have I mentioned I' m starting to get sore? Not so much from pulling the bow back. My arrows seem to be heat welded into the foam I' m shooting. Tonight I' ve discovered if I shoot an end and go inside for a bit, they seem to cool down and pull out a whole lot easier. Note to self, by one of those bag targets.

Groups are still sucking. Still get the occasional flyer. I noticed my loop seems to be pinching hard on the knock. So, I always wanted to try a Catfish loop loop, might as well be now. Following the directions, I try to finish off the serving with a loop of dental floss like it says. Nope. Back off and try with 10lb test mono. Nope, won' t pull the tag through. The fine wire from a bread tie finally gets it through. It only takes me about 5 shots to figure out the Catfish ain' t for me. Why install a loop if you need 2 nock sets to keep it in place? Snip. On goes a new PSE loop. Guess what happens today? Up the string walks my new loop. Never had this problem on my Mathews. Thought the first time was due to the other loop material.

Man, pullin them arrows out of that target is really getting to be a bitch.[:@] And I' m still getting that odd flyer every now and then. Even when I go through a mental check list before each release. I' m convinced its rest related. Lets just say I stripped out a key screw and its now a pain to adjust the turnbuckle and arm tension.

Let me ask here. Does your Pat dual cam have a cable guard that slopes slightly downward? Could this be jamming my cable slide? Perhaps causeing the flyer?

So here I sit talking about my new bow, and I ain' t smileing. All these little discoveries ment I had to return to square one. Over and over and over. Have I mentioned how sore I am from pullin those damn arrows?[:' (]

I think I' m getting close now. Cable rod is still secure. I pinched a brass nock above my loop so thats staying put. Whats a couple fps? I got about 295 more.[:-] I removed my stabalizer (doinker I think) and installed an old New Balanced thing I have. It allows me to slide the weight to the back of the risor. Granted I' m sore from pullin those ****ing arrows, but the stabe tightened my groups and allowed me to hold on target through the shot. Maybe that wasn' t a waste of 75 bucks after all! If I can only find the cause of that odd flyer. Then I' d put on some broadheads. Maybe they pull easier?

Old 07-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patriot owners, feel free to comment

nub, is the flyer high? The rest may be dropping erratically. If the nock is being pinched; fliers result. Hopefully Ausie will respond. He has an MZE on his. I have the NAP 4000 on mine. No problems at all. Another thing, if the cables or string have stretched, fliers will be a problem until the timing & cam synch are reset. The Duallys really need to be shot off the wall. I pull firmly against it when shooting.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub.

I have the MZE on both my Pat Dually and Pro40 Dually and have not had the problems you seem to be having.

The cable guard on my Pat did start to work its way out but I did catch it in time and loosened the inner set screw and pushed the rod back in tightened up the set screw and it has not moved since.

I can see if your cable rod is bent then the MZE cable slide could be catching but the cable rod is carbon ( I think ) so how did you bend rod?

Now what hole did you put the turn buckle in?

If you want I will take some pics of my set up and email them to you.

As for the odd flyer are your arrows spined properly and dont go by what the charts say as the BT' s like a stiffer than normal shaft.

Sorry I cant help you with the target problem mine are only 60lbers and I have trouble pulling arrows these things hit like a Mack truck.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nub, I hope you get your problem fixed before you develop a severe case of hemorrhoids from pulling out your arrows! [] Been there done that![:' (]

Keep us posted on your progress....In the meantime, the way you described your dilemma has me rolling on the floor....sorry.....both because I am laughing and because I can be of no help.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:48 PM
nub

Yes the flyer is always straight up. I' m pretty sure its rest related. I' ll take 10 minutes to shoot a 5 arrow end, relax after each, take my time, concentrate, you name it, then bink....up one goes. I' ve been shooting off the wall and thought perhaps the flyers were valley shots (creeping). I' m positive now all shots had the same form and shot off the wall. I marked both cams on both sides of the limbs and can see no rotation. I measured the specs before I marked the cams and they were exact. I mean on the nuts exact.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:55 PM
nub

Ausie: I have it mounted it whats called the third hole. Closest to the archer. The rod itself is perfectly straight. I was refering to the angle it comes out of the risor. It leans or angles down towards the rest. Arrows would be a tad stiff if anything. ACC 3-60' s, 28" .
Old 07-28-2003, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub.
Pull the bow back and just check to see if both cams are hitting the wall at the same time.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub.
Here is a pic of my MZE

Old 07-28-2003, 10:07 PM
nub

Ouch that hurt.[] Did I mention how sore I was from pulling those *^%+#@=&=ing arrows? Yes they appear to be hitting the wall together.

AE: I' m trying to keep my sence of humor also. This flyer has me baffled. But I will get it figured out with a little help from my friends.[:-]
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub,
Did you ever think that you might have a bum arrow? Mark the flyer and see it' s the same arrow that is consistently hitting off.

And go tomorrow to the pro shop and pick up a bottle of " Woody' s Arrow Lube" you and your sore arms will thank me.

Quick Reply: Patriot owners, feel free to comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.