Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Patriot owners, feel free to comment

Old 07-29-2003, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patriot owners, feel free to comment

Make sue you are checking the cam synch with a release or crankboard, NOT your fingers.

Since it' s a dual cam, I' ll rule out the drop-away. The singles IME do not shoot as well w/ a drop away.

I' m curious why you are having so many problems w/ your loop. I' ve yet to have one slip on any of my bows.

Do as Matt says and use tie-in nocks on either side of the arrow nock. The way you anchor, put pressure on the release could be causing that occasional flyer especially if the loop is borderline pinching.

I had zero problems getting mine to tune w/ a MBG Trapdoor and a QT3000.

You got bulletholes @ first so I' m inclined to say it' s problem with your equipment, cam synch, or form.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:24 AM

Nubby........Nubby I could' ve got you a good deal on a G2
Just kidding pal I hope you get that Pat dialed in before The Moose Hunt buddy
AL

We don' t want that excuse being used....... lol
Old 07-29-2003, 07:30 AM
nub

I took a pic to show whats happening with my rest. If I remember correctly, I had no flyers til I got home. I don' t remember any loop travel either. I really can' t recall the flyer til maybe just before the cable guard rod popped out. After I reinstalled the rod it looked like this. I' m thinking during the shot that finally took out the cable rod, my rest moved dramaticly. You can see this angle in the pic. Off course I didn' t think it could be MY installation, the rod must be in crooked![] Couple that with the fact that I forgot to tighten down the 2 locking set screws on the mounting bracket.[:' (] I' m sure this is the reason my rest sits like it does. I will reinstall today. [:-]

Jeff: Bullet holes with an MZE is about the easiest thing to achieve. I really shouldn' t even bother shooting paper with it. Its not even close to being a good indicator of tune for this rest. Even looking like it does in the pic I could probably punch a perfect hole. Unless it happened to be the flyer. Anyone can eyeball the rest on and punch a great hole. I was mostly showing off to the shop owner.

At the risk of sounding arrogant guys; Theres not a doubt in my Non Military Mind, that I can get this bow busting nocks. I' ve been shooting bows for about 35 years, and I CAN shoot this one. One thing happens and you have to start all over. Then another thing and you start over again. It becomes frustrating and I stop solveing the problem. Thats when I come to you guys and look at it from a different perspective. Now If I reset the rest, and cure all my little problems, and still can' t group, I bust this thing over a rock and pick up my mathews again.

The loop walking will be an easy solve. Now that I' ve slowed down a bit, and pulling those has taken the friskyness out of me. I' ll put some bowstring wax on my serving and heat that loop in and tighten up the knot. Should solve the slippage. I' m just in too much of a hurry.

Al: I wouldn' t be counting my loonies just yet pal!

Old 07-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m inclined to think it' s " relaxing" on the shot. It' s very easy to creep slightly and not realize it. I found this to be the case when I first started shooting my Pat Dually. Also as WWAG said, a little too much heel on the grip will throw arrows high. Also if the cams are even a small bit out of synch, fliers will result. Once shot in & tuned my Duallys are very accurate & consistent shooters.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:46 AM
nub

I think I' ve got a bit of a handle on that flyer. I' ve noticed I have a bit of cam lean on my bottom cam. From what I' ve been told, I shouldn' t have any, at least none in the bottom. While talking to a tech rep @ BT. he told me to watch it roll off the bottom mod. That was kind of hard to do while drawing. What I did notice was my cables crossed over about an inch down past where the bottom harness forked. I let one go an bink.... 15 inches high. I drew again and had the same cross over, bink 15 high. I then shot another 30 or so and the cables crosse right at the fork, no flyers. Why are they crossing over low at times? Cam lean? I do notice a bit of a scuffy on my lower serving about 2.5 inches up from where my cable comes off the bottom mod. Think this is from the flyers?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm.

If you are getting some cam lean on the bottom that should be taken out for sure.

However your problem seems to be sporadic. If the cam lean and/or limb lean is causing the problem, it should happen every shot or nearly every shot.

Your cable guard does look goofy, and while I am no expert by any means on the MZE, it does look like it’s angled too high up…It could be causing undue pressure on the cables and guard. The 2003 Dual cams are designed so that the cables ride farther out towards the shelf (i.e. centershot is further out to the left for a RH bow) The MZE IIRC pulls the cable in pretty close to the guard which may or may not be creating extra torque (which might explain the bottom cam lean)

Also are your cables crossing below the guard or above at brace height?

Do you have another arrow rest laying around? If so I would try that w/ the factory cable slide and see if the problem persists.

If that does not work, I would suggest finding another pair of eyes to watch things while you shoot: Preferably a competent shop technician who is experienced w/ the MZE & Bowtech.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:05 AM

You might have it there Nub. When I first got my Pat Dually I changed out the factory slide right away for the Simms teflon slide. Right away I noticed that the cables were not tracking like they did with the factory slide. I even changed the cables so the top cable was crossing inside the lower cable, exactly opposite of what is normally done by most manufactures on their dual cam bows. This got me the results I needed, because I noticed the cable crossing over the Y at the lower buss cable like you have seen and this was the reason I crossed the cables the other way. The more I thought about, the more I thought I needed to go back to the original slide maybe just to prevent some unforseen problem down the road. I put the original slide back on and crossed the cables like they were from the factory and have not seen any wear on the cables from the original slide [like what I thought I' d see from the ' 02 slide] and every arrow hits where the pin is at the shot at any distance, scarry accurate!!! Like an old pro gunsmith told me one time when I was big into trap shooting and wanting to change everything on my gun to fit me. He said " just learn to shoot the damm thing like the factory made it" []. Sage advice it turned out to be from an expert shooter
Old 07-29-2003, 12:00 PM
nub

While I haven' t been able to duplicate that low cross over, I did get some flyers. After squaring up my MZE bracket to look like ausie' s, my loop was almost an inch high. I reset and left that brass nock set up there so I could easily see if the loop was walking again. When I did get a flyer again, I noticed the bottom knot on my loop was now the only one walking up. I guess maybe subconsiously I was pulling a gap in my loop to loosen it back up. I served that bottom knot down tight with a bit of dental floss and it hasn' t pinched since. No flyers til the end of my session. I think I need to find a good way to secure the top knot now. If I can keep the knots loose, this thing stacks arrows real tight. I need to take a break now though and perhaps take a couple Ibuprophen. I can pull and hold this bow with no problems. Those arrows tho, are another thing after a hundred or so. Think I' ll scrap my lube and try the barsoap trick of Ausie' s til I can buy some better stuff.

I will be heading to the club for broadhead leagues tonite, so I think I' ll put it in the press and get rid of the lower cam lean. Its just a question of which bow I' ll shoot leagues with. Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 PM

Nub, I got a hell of an idea to save you from pulling your arrows[] Shoot blunts
Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 PM
nub

I need a blunt alright. I put on some 125gr. Montecs. They pull out with 2 fingers now. I' m leaving it for now. I' m getting 2" @ 30 yrds with the BHs so I think I' ll shoot it for leagues tonite. First 2 weeks are for averages anyways. So if I shoot a little off, I can, and will, only get better with the Pat. I had it down to a 3.5" group at 40 yrds, then the loop pinched up on me again. I wrapped a serving around both knots now so hopefully it will stop moveing on me. Its a bitch when you make an adjustment and your group opens back up a bit. Made me think I went too far. Guess I just need to really train myself to watch for those knots creeping. Or go back to brass. I' ve never seen a bow so touchy on pinch.

Quick Reply: Patriot owners, feel free to comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.