Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ACC aluminum insert adhesive help needed

Old 07-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ACC aluminum insert adhesive help needed

I bought 1/2 dozen acc' s last fall, absolutely love them. However, I now have a problem I need to resolve before this fall.

The shop that built them for me (45 minutes away) used hotmelt adhesive to adhere the inserts. When I go them home, three of the inserts spun before I could get a head fully seated. I figured I' d deal with it later, as I only use 3 shafts to hunt with anyway.

Now, I' m down to one shaft that doesn' t have this problem. Obviously the guy either did it wrong or his hot melt was crap or something. Regardless, I need to pull them, clean them and re-adhere them. I want to do it myself to have control over the situation, but need an adhesive that can be purchased at either a hardware store of Wal-Mart, as I don' t want to drive forever nor order just to get glue.

Can you help me out?
Old 07-28-2003, 03:13 PM

Default RE: ACC aluminum insert adhesive help needed

I always used hot melt on mine and they were fine , but you have to put enough on. If you only apply a small amount they will not hold as well.
Also the worst case I had with them , was when I had some made up for my father. The girl that made them up accidently glued 3-49 inserts into 3-60 shafts . Slowly but surely all came out within a couple of months ! [:' (]

Old 07-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

No hot melt for me. Too easy to goof up the shaft w/ the heat, even from an overheated insert.

2 part 12 to 24 hour cure epoxy works best. The quicker set epoxies work OK, but are more brittle. You' ll lose a lot of points and inserts shooting 3D if you use hot-melt, instant glues, or quick cure epoxy.

You can get this stuff at any hardware store, wal-mart or similar.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 PM

I always roughed up the adapter with some sandpaper and this evidently gave the adapter grip with hot melt. They never turned on me after that.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will second what Jeff said the 2 part epoxy.
Another glue you could use is Steel Force Beyond Bond put a tiny bit on the insert and spray the accelerator into the shaft but make sure you push the insert in all the way with one quick movement otherwise the glue will dry and you wont get the insert all the way in.
I had some troubles with my CXL 250' s with the inserts coming out in 3d targets since I started using the steel force I have yet to have a insert come out.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:11 PM

I have to agree with JeffB on the two part epoxy. Thats all I use on accs or carbons, it dries a little slower but will not fail, and you will probably never get your inserts back out, it cheap and you just mix up as much as you need.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys... 12 or 24 hour 2 part epoxy it is