Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Old 07-27-2003, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Whisker Bisquit,first impressions

Thank you Straightarrow! A couple of years ago I was tinkering with my Martin Fury to see how fast it would go. I got it up to 295 with a stock biscuit, a string nock, and speed balls. I put a TM hunter back on and it just reached 300FPS. I then trimmed both sides of the biscuit so it was flat as a coin and put it back on the bow. With the trimmed biscuit the bow consistently shot 305-306FPS through a whisker biscuit, and that was done with a finger release. Thats not bad for a 67# bow and 425grain arrows. Good luck hunting!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Ok,after installing a peep and a string loop on the maverick and dialing in the draw length,I did a little more shooting today.At thirty yards the 100 gr muzzys were hittting 2" lower and 2 inches to the right of field points.A small sdjustment to the nock height and the centershot had a fieldpoint and broadhead tipped arrow almost touching at 30 yds.Bh and fp groupings were the same.Overall about 2-3 inches at 30 yds.Some even better,arrows touching when I broke a good release.Arrows are visibly flying good and sticking straight into the target.I am getting some wear on the 4" feathers.One even pulled from the shaft,but these arrows are older and have been through my foam target a few times.I will re fletch some arrows and see how they hold up.I may notch out a hole for the vanes and see if it does any better.Overall very impresssed.

CB
Old 07-29-2003, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds great, but your last post leaves me wondering- are they feathers or vanes?

I wish I could shoot cock up so I could whittle out a 3 way slot like the pic above. But the deluxe model I' m using wn' t allow me to do so. (as posted above)
Old 07-29-2003, 09:12 AM

I just installed a w/b the other day and so far I love it. It' s quiet and there is no way my arrow can fall off while I' m hunting.

Can someone explain what you mean when you say you are trimming the back side off the whickers and why you are doing this? So far I can' t see a reason to do this. What effect does it have?

I also can' t understand why you would cut the 3 notches for the vane clearance. If you look at the one in the picture the vanes are still going to hit some of the whiskers and they will have to pass between some whiskers as the arrow travels through the rest. I don' t see how the vanes will pass through those three notches unless you completely cut away all the whiskers right up to the arrow shaft and then line it up perfectly. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:36 AM

Dave,sorry for the confusion.I said" vanes" generically.My testing so far has been mainly with 4 " feathers.The edges of the feathers have gotten fuzzy,but they still fly good.I have shot some arrows with 4" vanes.Field point flight is good.I only shot a few BH' s with the vanes and flight was not as good.The vanes are a little wavy from being sunk in my foam target.They are also fletched straight.rml if you go the the Carolina archery website they have some tips and one of them is trimming the back side.If you look at the bristles you will see a cone shape around the hole.Trimming it flat reduces the drag and speed loss from the bristles.Notching the holes for the fletch is something a few members have tried.Doing so eliminates any vane wear from using the rest.

CB
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM
CG

CB,
Still like it....I did find however that my goldtip BG 100' s are slightly larger diameter than the Easton Epics I just bought. The GT can' t hardly be forced into the gaps I cut but the Epics slide right in so...........I just bought another bisquit and trimmed it to fit the Epics... Works great!!!!! I can tell everyone right now to get the QS.....That piece of plactic reinforcing the ring makes this rest about as bombproof as the shelf of a recurve......Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:21 PM

Corey, good to hear from you.Thought you might have fallen off a ravine or something chasing them birds.I plan on experimenting a little more with the standard bisquit and maybe notch it or switch to the QS.You really like the bisquit more than then trophy taker ehh?I bought a newer maverick but that damn xt shoots so sweet with the TT can' t decide which one to hunt with.

CB
Old 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
CG

CB,
I actually bought two QS this time....I notched and modified the one and just trimmed the back of the other......I' m alternating shooting them and seeing if there is any appreciable difference. AS of now I can' t really see it......There is some (very slight) wear on the 4" feathers w/out the modification but accuracy is identical.

There is only one reason that I like the WB over the TT.....simplicity! There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong on the WB. It will shoot the same every time......I' ve never had my TT fail but I' ve always got the thought in the back of my mind.

I didn' t fall in a raven (at least not turkey hunting)....drew a great elk tag this year and been doing a lot of scouting. Same area I shot a 300 bull 2 years ago (with your Maverick, I might add ).
Old 07-30-2003, 04:55 AM

KISS that' s my motto.I just wana see how well I can shoot with the WB.I was getting some unreal groups with the TT.Have never shot that good.Maybe it' s just that old Maverick I do like a bow that' s been broken in right.I' ve still got the TT on your old mav.I bought a newer model mav and have the WB on it.I' ll shoot both for a while and see which one wins out.

CB