Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rocket Steelhead problem

Old 07-23-2003, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Rocket Steelhead problem

Todd / Jeff - thanks

Arthur - great info and thanks

Vodek - I have fixed heads all over my house that not only fit but fly great. You don' t know me to well do you??? I seek out aggravation

Well it seems I bought the runt of the litter - my 100' s measure less than 1/2" from ring to shaft tip[] - can you believe that poop

Thats not even close - they don' t even work in my easton inserts - when I slide them in there is about 1/32 to catch a thread[:@]

Rocket will get another call from me tomorrow - and this one will not be so pleasant[X(]
Old 07-23-2003, 09:25 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Yes the Steelhead 100s are short, my fix get some Miniblasters and put the pathfinder tip in them. Close to 100 grains and the Pathfinder tip will help with penetration in my opinion, especially on quartering shots. Just my solution, but it' s worked well.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why does it seem that in every rocket thread thier customer " no service" is a problem? Some of their products are great others are not. To be honest though I am about sick of them not taking care of the customers and not admitting to problems. The 125 grn steel head is alot better than the 100 grn version anyway. If you don' t mind bumping up 25 grns your preformance will be increased and the speed loss won' t be all that much.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:12 AM

it sounds to me like rocket needs some hope not help!
hope they get there quality issues straight before people quit fooling with there bull!! all there products should be the same. it' s bad when you can buy somthing in
the same model and the quality is totaly different between the 100g and 125g not to mention that you got to worry about if they are going to screw into your arrow or not!
Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it' s more a design issue than quality. Rocket wanted to get a 100 grain head but couldn' t get there with a full length shank and thread on a steel ferrule, so they got out their calculators and figured out how much they could cut the shank to cut some weight and still get a couple of threads started in an insert that' s made correctly. Then they chopped an eighth of an inch off the length. I' d bet the 125' s are close to full length according to AMO specs.

What irritates me is them trying to blame Goldtip for being a fraction too deep on their counterbores when it is they themselves that made an obvious effort to ignore AMO standards.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Spike

I had the same problem last fall when trying to use my new Rocket Steelheads with my new Easton XX75 Super Slam arrows. The Steelheads would only grab a couple threads and I was not happy with that. I didn' t use them so there sitting on the shelf and I' m out $25.00 bucks..... nice company huh?
Old 07-26-2003, 11:52 PM

RE: Rocket Sucks!

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...ode=&s=#314861
Old 07-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, there sure is alot of hostility in this thread. Maybe a quick " forward" of the thread url to Rocket might be in order. It seems that manufacturers pay alot of attention to negative press.....especially on the internet.

Despite the negative comments I do still plan on using the Steelhead and Hammerhead 100s almost exclusively this season. Luckily, I have not had some of the same issues with my head/arrow combination.