Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ever had point weight affect arm slap?

Old 07-23-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Ever had point weight affect arm slap?

This came up in another thread, so I thought I would see if anyone else has had this happen.

I' m currently shooting an MQ1 with GT 5575 3D Pro arrows at 28.5 inches. I first put 75 grain fp' s in the arrows for a little extra speed. They tuned well and shot well, but sometimes @ 40 yards they would end up in the target just a bit crooked, so I went to 100 gr points to increase FOC. They still shot well, but I noticed that the string was all of a sudden slapping my forearm quite often. I thought it was a breakdown in my form and tried everything to make it quit hitting me to no avail. Since the point weight was all I changed, I went back to the 75 gr points just to see and to my surprise, the problem was solved.

Has anyone else had this happen? I know there are quite a few things that can cause wrist slap, but this was the only thing that made it go completely away.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever had point weight affect arm slap?

I' ve had point weight affect arm slap, but never had more slap because of going from a lighter point to a heavier one. It' s always been exactly the opposite for me.

If you' re right on the edge of your arrows' spine range, going to 100 grainers might be making some wierd things go on at the shot.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:51 AM

I' m thinking along the same lines Arthur, but it does seem to me that a heavier point weight would cause the arrow to flex more thereby causing more arm slap if anything. Darned if I have a good explanation. I just know that when I go to the heavier tips, I start getting the arm slap consistantly. It' s weird.

Anybody else ever had a problem with this? Surely me and Art aren' t the only ones to have seen this.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:44 AM

Maybe we are.