Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tech help with Mathews LX

Old 07-22-2003, 06:03 PM

Default Tech help with Mathews LX

Mathews LX 61 lbs. with limbs bottomed out. Have put about 400 arrows thru it since I purchased new last week. Measured brace height and alxle to axle. Brace was 6 3/8" and A to A was 36" .Would I need to twist or un-twist buss cable or should I make adjustement to string. It feels about a 1/2" long so this would put me back right if I am assuming right that this adjustement will also shorten my draw length 1/2" when I shorten A to A by 1/2" and add 1/2" to brace. Don
Old 07-23-2003, 05:16 AM

Default RE: Tech help with Mathews LX

I would probably take it back to the shop .

My LX has had no significant change since March . Probably 1000-1500 shots through it. My cam is timed correctly and my ATA is 35 3/4 " , BH is exactly 6 5/8 " , and maxed out with 70 # limbs it hits 74 # .

Hope that helps !
Old 07-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing I would do is get rid of the Mathews string and cable. In my opinion they are junk. I think their bows are great but their strings are junk. Get a good quality string and those kind of problems should almost disappear.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:10 AM

I agree with Antler Eater. I make a lot of strings for my friend' s bows. I alway measure each old string when I take it off and I' ve yet to see a Mathews string that hadn' t crept at least 1/2" . Most creep anywhere from 3/4" to 1.5" within the first year.

This is not a problem limited to just Mathews bows. Most bow manufacturers use a string that creeps significantly. In my opinion, changing the stock string is one of the most important things a person can do when getting a bow. Seek out a custom string builder that knows what they' re doing. With a properly built string, there should be little or no string creep and no serving separation. Custom strings not only work better, they look better and last longer. They can also be sized to give you more speed or to make your bow quieter. Best of all, you can retain your bow' s tune longer, with one.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:52 AM

I agree with you guys on Mathew' s strings/cables , except the LX is coming with a newer version of the Zebra. It' s made of a different low stretch material and is definately an improvement over previous Zebra strings. I have owned several Mathews bow' s and experienced the stretch you guys are talking about , but not on the new one. I haven' t had any custom strings though, so I don' t know how the new Zebra would compare to a custom set .

Old 07-23-2003, 05:31 PM

Well, I tried to shorten my string and got my brace to 6 1/2 " but went from 61 lbs. with the limbs bottomed out to 57 lbs. I tried to lengthen the buss cable and take the twist back out of the string and the brace went to 6 1/4" but I still only have 57 lbs. I' m starting to get a little angry. I tried to call Mathews but they were to busy to talk to me so I left a voice mail and they haven' t called yet. My bow press will not allow me to take the string and cable off to measure. Anybody got a guess[:' (]. Don
Old 07-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Well, I finally got everything back to square one today. I got the brace to 6 1/2" and 60 lbs. It shoots ok but a new Winners Choice cable and string are in my near future. Don
Old 07-25-2003, 11:35 AM

Don,

Why have' nt you taken it back to your shop? I can understand if it' s quite a drive. I' m lucky mine is about 50 yards from where I work! I have never had a problem with my LX but one of my buds " adjusted" his SQ2 himself and it was WAY off. He took it into the shop. They broke it down and reset it for him at no charge. BUT this guys buys ALL of his bowhunting stuff through this shop. Yea he may pay 10% more but he doesn' t have to drive far, gets his adjustments done for free on his bow, and they take care of him. They also have a shooting range and let you test out anything before you buy it, EVEN BHs (they have testing heads for you to try at the range!) IMO If I spend an extra $50 per year at his shop that' s just the price I pay to have A-1 service close to home.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:52 AM
nub

Manufacturer stated brace and A to A measurements are approx. and are relative to proper cam rotation.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:20 PM

Hey Macdaddy, My " shop" is about 20 miles. I have been shooting bows and working on them for about 20 years, and the guy that runs the " shop" I buy from is a great guy, and treats me right, but he is not what you would call a " pro" at setting up bows. Nub, the tech at Mathews said the bow should be 35 3/4" ata and 6 5/8" brace height with the holes in the cam parallel to the string (not approximate). This is all I have to go on. The setup according to Mathews is pretty straight foward and doesn' t allow for any tweaking or playing around. My main problem seems to be the Zebra string and cable stretching. I am going to set them back to factory specs when I change my cam (ordered the bow 27" and put a28" cam on and now find 27.5 is what I need[:' (]). If the zebras stretch again, they are history and Winners choice will be on the way Don