Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow shops

Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Spike

Default bow shops

Here in michigan we do not have a lot of bow shops.
most only last a couple years
WHy aremost of these guys just bad business men.

Here is a recent visit and a call I heard when i was there.

I will start by saying I just bought a used mathews dxt.
After getting it home and shooting it I decided I need to retune it.
This I do myself mainly because i enjoy that kind if stuff and a lot of shops are not good at it guns or bows.
But really I enjoy this kind of stuff plus you learn alot doing it your self.
As i said it was shooting straight but the vanes were hitting teh drop away rest.
So of course I stop by the local mathews dealer.
I describe the problem I think I am having.
Which After doing my research I think it is the following
Low nock point. incorrect rest position or the rest is not dropping fast enough. So his first response was my Ripcord rest is not a good one "they have Problems" he says and wants to sell me a $140 rest. Ok but I still really could not get any assistance from he.
Just looking for advice.
After tallking with him he gets a call from another potential customer and the conversation with the caller boils down to this statement "well You did not buy the bow here and now you want me to service it". I am sure the caller is now shopping elsewhere.
I also left.
I returned a couple days later after a little education from Youtube and ripcords website.
I also have shot the bow more and am sure the rest is not falling away fast enough do to the string being to short. ISo I was trying to ask him if he understood how the rest works.
If the string is to short or at the wrong angle will this affect arrow flight.
His response " i cant tell you anything with out seeing it" he says.
No I just want to understand the way it works. i said.
I need to see it and tune it $25 starting.
At this point I realize he does not understand how a drop away rest works and moves through out the draw and release or he would have been able to answer my question
He seemed to be getting anoyed I would not just blindly drop off my equipment to let him tinker with it.
There was another shop employee who did understand what i was getting at but seemed afraid to butt in.

Either he did not want to help me or doesn't really understand how modern bow rests work. Sometme arrogance is a problem with these guys
You are a "professional" bow shop and spend your day with archery equiopment by no means should a customer really know more than you sir.

Well The New MAthews Z7 I was going to buy in a couple months will not be bought at his store.
I will go online or have to travel a bit to buy it from a better shop.
Well maybe I just got the wrong guy

Scott '
Michigan
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have always found the bigger the shop,the worse the service!
We have a guy here that runs a small shop out of his basement,and earlier this year my buddy had a cam go out on his martin and had to send it in for warranty repair,and this guy lends my buddy a mathews reezen already set up, just in case his bow didn't get back before season opened.
I have always had good service from small shops,they do it because they love it, not to get rich!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nothing like a Newbie

Maybe you'll luck out and get into dominoes. Well, if an instructor lives nearby.

Kidding. But not really.

Just because it's in business, doesn't mean it should be in business.
It takes a lot of talent to run a business, some of which has nothing to do with the business product.
You probably haven't heard of market share. How many archers exist within five, ten, twenty, fifty miles of your home. And how many are only prepared to spend a minimum amount of money. Some businesses close because of poor service; some have good service, but not enough potential customers who live in the area. Like I said, some things have nothing to do with setting up a bow or repairing a sight.

Archery is a niche sport; it has a limited base. It's easy for an archery business to fail, if they don't understand their local market. And I can see a lot of newbies saying -What's he talking about, I'm only interested in archery.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

As an owner and living in Michigan, I have seen a lot of shops close. Some is business pratice, some is not having stock on hand. I have worked on most bows that customers bring in. Some are so old that the cost for tuning and the string was what I would think is more than what the bow was worth, but it was still cheaper than buying a new bow. My competition charges a lot more than what I charge, but still gets return customers, over and over. Better, I think not, kids replacing strings and cables, and tuning your bow. I don't hide from my customer! When I change out a set, I do it in front of them. Of course I charge more if I am asked to answer questions! LOL Just kidding!!! But I will tell anyone outthere that a small shop does what he does, because of the love of the sport. I did it because I didn't want customers to feel like there is only one place to go out there!!! People think that because it is a business that we make a fortune. Wrong, another reason some are closing is the economy! Try stocking 40-50-even $75,000 worth of stock only to have the mfg's come out with something new, and no one wants what you have on the shelf. This stuff is paid for and some times you have to "dump it". I try to keep a good product mix, and if it is a big seller and the mfg is giving a big buy on it, I will purchase. If you in the area stop on by!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Spike

You were asking for FREE advice and got irritated when the shop didn't drop everything and give you a detailed explanation for something that you could learn on the internet?

He would have been smart to answer your questions, but he is certainly under no obligation to do so.

Owning an archery shop is something I couldn't do. I could handle the archery side of it, but not the people skills side. People asking for free stuff is ok if you are doing it as a hobby, but it would really irritate me if I were trying to make a living from it.

Most of the people coming in asking for free advice likely likely will never spend enough in a shop to justify the time spent on them. But no one can pick out the small minority who are on the verge of spending a couple thousand dollars. I think that is where I would fail and apparently that's where this shop is failing.

A small archery shop is a tough way to make a living anytime. With the poor economy the last few years, it's even harder.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by aread
You were asking for FREE advice and got irritated when the shop didn't drop everything and give you a detailed explanation for something that you could learn on the internet?

He would have been smart to answer your questions, but he is certainly under no obligation to do so.

Owning an archery shop is something I couldn't do. I could handle the archery side of it, but not the people skills side. People asking for free stuff is ok if you are doing it as a hobby, but it would really irritate me if I were trying to make a living from it.

Most of the people coming in asking for free advice likely likely will never spend enough in a shop to justify the time spent on them. But no one can pick out the small minority who are on the verge of spending a couple thousand dollars. I think that is where I would fail and apparently that's where this shop is failing.

A small archery shop is a tough way to make a living anytime. With the poor economy the last few years, it's even harder.
I can see your point.
If I am going to get all my advice fron the interent. Which can be bad advice, I will just do all my buying on the interent.
It is called customer service. You build a reputation of being a good helpful shop and word will spread. I went to another mathews dealer 45 minutes from my house.
What a difference. Helful did all the work in front of me. none of this leave it and came back in a week to pick your bow up.
Awesome shop in my opinion.

That is where I will be spending my money.
I can buy everything he sells on the interent for a couple bucks less. but this guy gave me the time of day , was not arrogant, and really helped me out.
So I did end up dropping $50 on some other stuff saturday.
and my new z7 will come from there also.
I guess you never know who is after freebies but it is a gamble you take to build your reputation.
My gut feel i sthis guy did not know what he was talking about or did not have the knowedge to answer my questions.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Spike

Default workout routines

workout routines