Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Toughest tune job ever

Old 07-16-2003, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Toughest tune job ever

Well I just got finished tuning a bow for a friend at work.What made this one specially hard was it was a freebie and the person had no money to buy anything that might help.Oh,yeah,the fact that it was a left handed 70#-80# bow didn' t help considering I am right handed and only weigh 140# soaking wet.

I had to first figure out his draw length and discovered he was overbowed(a shop had set him up too).Luckily the draw length could be shortened to fit him and this brought the poundage down to a managable weight.It ended up at 66#-67# @ 28.5" draw.The bow was an older PSE Thunderflight with 75% letoff.I wasn' t impressed at all.Well I had to find some arrows that I had laying around because he had 6 but they were shot(pun intended)These things were bent beyond repair.I first tried some 2018' s that should have worked but this bow just was so inconsistant with what it did from shot to shot that I needed to step up to a 2117.Luckily I had 3 to get him started.

I couldn' t do much twisting or anything like that because it has steel cables.The timing did check out though.

The biggest obstacle was the cable guard.This thing just flopped around causing all kinds of problems.So lucky for the 2 of us we are tool makers.I came up with an idea to make a cable guard that didn' t move.A couple hours after work today and some inginuity.He now has a cable guard that doesn' t move.The price was right too.This made tuning atleast possible.Before the bow just wouldn' t do anything.

I shot bare shaft after bare shaft and just couldn' t get the things to shoot through paper good.I kept getting a low nock tear.Kept moving the nock up untill I finally got it.It ended up a full 9/16" high.Believe it or not the bow is busting bullet hole after bullet hole from 2 ft-20 ft,with and without fletching.Hard to believe that the nock travel is that unlevel.

I was worried that a limb was weak and 1 might be but from checking tiller adjustments,I think they are as good as they can be.

Now all he has to do is a little fine tuning for him,if needed but I shot it and from what I could tell,it is going to fling his broadheads and field points very well.But I am right handed and he is left.We did shoot the bow through paper the same and my center shot ended up center so I don' t think i was torquing the bow.

Although I have done my own tuning for a several years now.Before I started reading and posting on this site,I don' t think I would have been able to get this bow done.I have learned a few things here that helped.Being a tool maker sure did help too.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Toughest tune job ever

tfox, you are a man of great patience!

I have set up and tuned in the neighborhood of 2000 bows. The last time someone brought me a thunderflight to tune, I took him to the local proshop for a new bow!

Glad to hear you got it going for him.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:22 AM

Tfox,

I' ll bet it was fun. I know that I get some pleasure when I can get a friend' s bow shooting better.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:23 AM
nub

Did you shoot it left handed? Or as a right hand?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do we have any left handed shooters that can tune bows on this board?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub,I shot the bow left handed.

Yeah Big Country,I really wanted to tell him to get a new bow but this person is in a desperate financial situation and there was no other choice.

I just shot it today for groups at 20 yards and before I came in I was shooting 2" groups at 20 yards.Not bad concidering the situation.

I am glad this one is over.

I do think I kept a person in the hunting world because he was completely frustrated with his shooting.I did have him shooting quite well,even before the bow was completely tuned.He was talking about not bow hunting anymore.Now he is excited about the upcoming season.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:03 PM

Old 07-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey c903,it is apparent you think I am a liar.If you think you need your boots on.[:' (]

What part do you think I am lying about.The tune,the groups,or what.The bow shoots good now but I wouldn' t compare it to a new Hoyt or Mathews but it will get the job done this year.Maybe you think the person is better off financially than what I say.I assure you he isn' t.Maybe you think I am just trying to pat myself on the back.Not really,I was thanking a few that had given me some ideas in the past(especially Len for the cable guard thing).I was also glad the project was over and thought I would share my experience,After all,that is what this forum is for ,isn' t it.

So I' ll make you a proposition,I live about 35 minutes from the Shawneetown Ill.If you think I' m lying just come on down and I will prove what I say to be true.[]

I don' t appreciate being called a liar and would like an oportunity to put you in your place.

Man,how arrogant can 1 person be.

And the littledoesn' t make it any better.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:42 PM

Sorry, TFOX; I lost control.

I know that holes can be filled in; but when I first read your story I felt my stomach start to jerk a little, and a picture of some " old timers" sitting around a pot-belly stove exchanging stories of the past began to form in my mind.

I was still doing fine until " nub" ask his simple, but broad meaning and perplexed sounding question. I lost it.

ROTFLMAO!!

Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, I take it your not coming down.DARN

Quick Reply: Toughest tune job ever

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.