Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Toughest tune job ever

Old 07-17-2003, 05:22 PM

Default RE: Toughest tune job ever

No! In fact, sometime in the very near future, I have to go to an area in the Shawnee just 10 miles south of Shawneetown, Il. between Shawneetown and Cave In Rock to check out my nephew' s new hunting lodge.

It appears I be close to where you live. I' ll send you an email before I come, buy you a beer, and watch you shoot the bow. Not for you to prove anything, just to make you feel better.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,don' t do it to make me feel better,I feel fine.

I got so upset after the post that I went out with MY bow and shot for 15 minutes and busted 2 nocks off at 30 yards.

I feel better now.

Beech Hollow bow hunters are located just outside of Harrisburgh in a little place called Rudemont.They have a shoot August 2/3.That is in the same general area.Maybe we can shoot it.

The owner of the bow might have it back by then but maybe he will come if I can talk him into it.Or maybe he will just let me take it for the weekend.If you think it' s necessary.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of beer,I need to make a beer run.

I will be back later.[8D]
Old 07-17-2003, 06:15 PM

Small world! I know that club. It is in Rudement, 7-8 miles south of Harrisburg, Ill. My nephew has shot at that club. []

Ya gotta bring the bow! You said that I said that you were lying, and you invited me to come down to prove you are not, even though I did not say you were, and you want to " ...put me in my place."

Although you have nothing to prove, as offended as you sounded you should be given the opportunity to put me in my place.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:20 PM
nub

Sure, drag me into it. Reason I asked is, I too have a southpaw freind in need. Only problem is, I don' t think I could pull a 40 lb' r back left handed. Is it possible to shoot a left hand bow right handed good enough for a decent paper tune? then point him in the right direction to shoot his own groups?
Old 07-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub,although I believe Len can shoot left handed bows right handed.If memory serves.I don' t think it is a wise choice for most.You can end up with a very sore forearm.

Before this bow I had never attempted to shoot left handed.It really isn' t too difficult.I am used to shooting with both eyes open and had to remember to shut my right eye when trying to aim.Forgot once or twice and it isn' t pretty.

C903,I hope to see you there.Hope I didn' t forget anything[&:]

I guess it is the groups you were questioning.I hope I can still do it then.

I just looked at the wife schedule and it looks like she is on call that weekend.It looks like I will have the kids.That' s alright,they shoot too.

That club has some of the nicest people around and put on one tough shoot.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nub, with most bows it is actually pretty easy to shoot them with the opposite hand. Assuming you don`t have a problem with torqueing the grip anyhow.

I am a southpaw, but can shoot right handed when I need to. I have set up a ton of right handed bows, shooting them lefty. Does not work too well with the hoyt tec risers though.

So my answer to your question would be yes, it is definately possible to paper tune one shooting it with the opposite hand.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:37 AM

I can comfortably pull about 15 pounds less left handed and it is awkward at the start but it isn' t like learning from scratch. I think the hard part is sighting with the non-dominant eye. It makes me feel for the guys with cross dominance.

I would like to get a confirmation on the meeting at the shoot thing though. I have kinda always wanted to meet TFox and I live an hour north of Henderson. I travel that far every Sunday to shoots here in Indiana so it would be a good chance to meet some guys from here and shoot a new club. I' m not concerned about the lefty thing at all. I commend him for helping this guy out. Not many I know are interested it this.

What class do you guys shoot? I shoot Open but I' m still a rookie; you guys won' t bad mouth me for taking my time will you? I try to stick to the 2 min. at the stake rule though. Fast shooters are always welcome to shoot through with me. I wait all week for Sunday and I will not rush myself. I love being out there. I have a feeling shooting with a bino carrying, stabilizer like a walking stick, sissy fingersling wearing, non-camo' ed bow that can blind you with the suns reflection shooting open classer will drive an old timer like c903 nuts. I hope not.

-Chief

So what do you say guys?
Old 07-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey,chief I shoot open also and agree that learning the off handed stuff isn' t that hard.Really all the same basics apply.All you need to do is try and find the comfort,that can be hard.It is possible though.

I really hate the nock height being so high on the bow and I think I am going to try to get a serious session with him and see how he groups the bow as I lower the nock point.If his groups start tightening up,we will live with whatever nock low tear it has.Might hurt penetration a little but hitting is the most important aspect.

He shot it yesterday and did ok with it but I still shot his bow better,so there is work left to be done.We had to move his sight a lot for him from where I had it set and I havn' t tried shooting it since he moved the sight.Might not be good.