Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey 5 Shot, based on your experience...

Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey 5 Shot, based on your experience...

...and just for fun ...

Assuming a well tuned bow and adequate fletch (4" with offset or helical) that groups field tips perfectly, which broadheads would you feel comfortable just screwing on and shooting to the same point of impact and group with no changes to the bow?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hey 5 Shot, based on your experience...

I would not feel comfortable taking any head to the field without test shooting them first, but as far as using a setup as you describe and getting the best chance at those results I would say most mechanicals and the Slick trick' s. These heads fly most like field points. That' s not to say that a Muzzy, Magnus stinger, thunderhead, wasp sst or Rocky Titanium won' t do well. All of these heads have proven to be very accurate in my experience.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:46 PM

I shoot TI100 or 125 - Iron Head with 4 inch Duravens helical and they fly very well at speed from 272-280.
I have tried new Magnus 4-blade stingers and they do very well too. These two broadheads fly the best for me so far. I have tried Steelforce, Muzzy 3 blade too with similar results, but my choice is still TI100 or 125-Iron head or new Magnus 4 blade" Stinger."
Vodek
Old 07-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting. Really seems to point to FOC as the primary variable...

Most mechanicals and the Slick Trick are pretty short lengthwise, most like field tips. Other fixed blade heads are much longer, probably affecting FOC. Probably not as much of a big deal if using a drop away, but add a set of fixed prongs to the equation and the arrow could flex differently based on the different FOC causing a different impact point...

I wonder if using the Satellite Match Point field tips would yield same impact points with longer broadheads? Would be an interesting test...

5 Shot, in your testing, is it possible for a fixed head to score a 5 in your accuracy testing? I noticed 5 means flies like a field point under ALL conditions. Assuming you include wind and possible wind planing from a fixed head, does that automatically kick every fixed head down to a 4? In other words, barring wind, etc, in your testing a fixed head with an accuracy rating of 4 flew just like and impacted in the same place as your field tips?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is possible for a fixed blade head to score a 5. Infact the slicktricks now do. In my initial tests I gave them a 4 becuase I did not see any differnce out of my well tuned setup. After playing with them a while with some other setups I found they did infact fly better with straight fletch and or not so well tuned setups. I upgraded the scroe to a 5 for these reasons. I also gave the " ultimate steels" a 5 in the accuracy score, but they just won' t hold onto thier blades in anything harder than foam!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 shot- I' m once again very interested in the slick tricks, and was wanting to re-read your review of them. Your websight doesn' t list them in the tested colum. Is there another index that they are listed in?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, a 4 means they hit to the same point of aim as your field tips in normal conditions, but they may not in ALL conditions (wind, etc)?

Also, I know last year there was a lot of controversy as to Slick Tricks being more susceptible to deflection and subsequent poor penetration than other heads. If I recall, you were gonna test this some how... Did you ever? If so, I missed it, would you please repost your findings?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slick Trick 100 grain 4 blade:

Plywood: 5 points
Steel drum: 4 points
Tire: 2 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Accuracy: 5 points
Blades 4 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total Score: 25 with a blade sharpness rating of B-

The Slick trick broadhead is a relatively new head to the market. It is a 4blade model with a 1 1/8” cutting diameter. One of the claims made by the manufacture is field point accuracy from a fixed blade head. I found this to be true from my bow, which is well tuned, and shooting good groups with most broadheads. I don’t have any records of group sizes when comparing different heads, but I have to say the Slick trick heads are as accurate as any I have shot.
In the tire test the head penetrated most of the way through, with the tip sticking out the back of the first side. In the plywood it busted through making one impressive hole! I have never seen a head make such a hole in plywood as the Slick tricks do! In the steel drum the head penetrated the first side, and then made a large hole in the back wall, without sticking in. Again the hole it made in the drum was very impressive, and it did make a large hole in the far side, but did not “stick” so to speak. Overall this is a very good head and one you should consider if you are looking for a great flying head that really punches a huge hole in what it hits. These are the most accurate fixed blade broadheads I have tested to date. They fly well with straight fletch as well as smaller fletching, and even out of bows that are not perfectly tuned.

I should note a few things: First, the blade locking system is something like what Muzzy uses in their 4 blade heads, but not identical. This system makes for very secure blade retention, and easy assembly. The other thing I need to mention is that these new heads are much improved over last years model. I know some of you emailed me with questions about them, and some problems you may have had. I can tell you that these improved heads are a different animal all together. The blade sharpness is much improved, and they will shave hair with a little work. I consider them ready to hunt with out of the package. The other problem I had with last years heads were the aluminum washers. They would break apart on heavy impact and the blades would drive down into your inserts messing them up pretty good. This year model has steel washers that work very well, making the heads spin true with little effort, and they are plenty strong. Those were the only two problems with last years model, and both have been corrected very well.
You may also not the how compact the heads are, and at first glance the blade angles seem fairly steep, but when compared to the blade angle of the bear razorhead bleeder blade, it is the same, so I figure if it is good enough for Fred bear, it should work with the Slick trick heads.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is deflection with these heads still an issue to be concerned with? Did you ever test for it?

Quick Reply: Hey 5 Shot, based on your experience...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.