Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead suggestions needed

Old 07-12-2003, 11:46 PM

Default broadhead suggestions needed

Hello
I' m kinda new here. I' ve asked a few questions & stuck my nose in a few times already. Maybe made some friends & probably made some enemies.
Hopefully in the end the friends will outnumber the enemies.

In my little part of Pa., I' ll be using an Xbow during our Jan. shotgun season for deer. It' s pretty congested out this way & alot of the landowners rather an Xbow over a shotgun.
As the title said, I' m looking for a good 100 Gr. fixed blade broadhead.
I' m shooting an older 150lb. Barnett recurve Xbow. Shooting 18" 2216' s with straight 4" fletching. Total weight with a 100 Gr. tip = 383 Gr., velocity was chronographed at 214 fps.
This equals approximately 40 ft.lbs. of KE.
With this low of a KE, I think a 3 blade would be better? Less resistance while cutting?
Also, I not sure if a Slick-Trick type would work. With such an extreme angle on those blades, it may add unnecessary resistance. ???
Plus with such a short arrow, I doubt it stabilizes that easily, so the most aerodynamic possible would be best.
(not asking for much - am I !!!)

PS: What' s your thoughts on the 2 blade Magnus Stinger 125Gr. for my old Damon-Howatt recurve with about 480Gr. (total weight) wooden arrows at about 160 fps. for a KE. of about 28 ft.lbs.???
Sure do appreciate any help you can give me - too many choices, not enough $$$
Thanks
John
Old 07-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadhead suggestions needed

I never played with a crossbow to see how fixed blades worked through them, but I would imagine a muzzy 100 would work as good as any of the others. And they sure are a good head.

BTW, I think you are right....with 40 pounds of ke, the 3 blade, or less might be your ticket!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

ive had muzzy heads and thunderheads, the only ones that worked for me were the thunder heads, but they were 125 grains.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

I believe WASP makes a BOSS 3 bladed broadhead in the 100 grain model. These appear to be a small profile fixed blade head of quality design. If you get a chance, look them up.

*Your also right about the Crossbow, a lot of land owners would rather you hunt without a firearm these days and the xbow is a good choice.*
Old 07-13-2003, 08:19 AM

^%&$*& !!!!
Just found out that the Magnus Stinger is screw-in only. Since I' m shooting wood in my recurve, I sure would appreciate anybodies thoughts on a better choice.
Thanks Again
John
Old 07-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Stingers would be an excellent choice, especialy with the lower KE level of your crossbow. The 100 grn heads may be a bit better in the accuracy dept as they are a little smaller. The problem with straight fletch and a short " arrow" are how stable they will be in flight. smaller heads will help with your accuracy. The slick tricks should also work well, and they are the broadhead that will shoot most like a field point, fixed blade that is. I don' t think you have enough KE for most mechanicals, maybe the Rocket nail driver, but it is kind of small.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:06 AM

5 SHOT

First I must say I really apprecite all the time you put into your tests. Though
some have dumped on shooting tires & wood, I like to know the durability of what I' m buying. When it all comes down to the wire - all our hopes & work hang on that little pc. of steel on the ends of our arrows, hoping it does what it' s supposed to.
Thanks Again
Just out of curiousity, about how much KE are you pushing with your test bows?

Do you believe the sharp angle of the Slick Trick would hurt with my low KE?

As for my Xbow, I really thought you' d recommend a Muzzy. (the Stingers were my thought for my recurve)

Which, if any, of all the fixed blade broadheads that you' ve tested ever gave an accuracy level above 4??
Thanks Again
John
Old 07-14-2003, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My test bow runs between 68 and 70 ft/lbs of KE. I think the slick tricks should work well for you, but like any 4 blade head with a 1 1/8" cut penetration is going to be less than you would get with say a two blade head or smaller 3 and 4 blade heads. That' s not to say they won' t provide enough, bigger = less in the penetration dept. Muzzys are always a great choice, but so are the stingers. You sounded like you were more intrested in the stingers and they are outstanding in every way. I would go with a 4 blade Muzzy 100 grn, 2 or 4 blade stinger, and the Slick tricks as far as that setup goes. The slick tricks are the only fixed blade head to score a 5 in the accuracy dept. You may not notice with a well tuned bow and helical fletching, but use straight fletch and you can see a difference right away. They just shoot more like a field point than any other fixed blade head I have shot.