Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead practice

Old 07-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead practice

Some of us are good enough . . . or lucky enough . . . to have our broadheads group right with our field points.

But for those whose broadheads group in a different spot from the fieldpoints, the dilema is practicing. Practicing with broadheads exclusively is problematic in that it tears up most targets, can be difficult to remove and is more likely to damage fletching if you shoot for a group (like most people do with FP).

In the past, I' ve used 2 sights (one for BH and another for FP) and I' ve also shot broadheads exclusively prior to and during the season . . . and I' ve been lucky for a number of years with them flying together.

What suggestions do you all have for practicing during the season?
Old 07-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead practice

Practicing with broadheads can be a real pain. I have had a couple of bows that for some reason would not group exactly the same with both broadheads and fieldpoints. I never thought about using two sights! I would just sight in with the broadheads, then have 2 or 3 arrows reserved for practice. I would only shoot maybe one or two arrows a day during the season to make sure nothing was wrong.

I don`t shoot too much with broadheads even when they hit the same as my field tips. I like to use thunderhead 125 gr. heads, and they fly fantastic for me, but they won`t take alot of hard impacts into a target before they spin less than perfect. I have used TH`s for so long that I can tell by the way they spin on a shaft whether they are gonna do their part or not.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:22 PM

All that I can say that when I practice in my broadheads I use the Humomgo broadhead target and I don' t hit the same spot I will use the diff circles and I will shoot 6 of my arrows and if the arrows hit in the same spot on the six diff circles I' ll make adjustments till they all hit in the X' s or if they just touch the x' s but I have the montecs so that I can resharpen them.

{KINGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE}[8D]
Old 07-14-2003, 07:36 PM

I just got the Black hole and have about 75-80 shots into it and I' m not sure how long it' ll hold up. They' re a breeze to remove though. I shoot the 125 magnus snuffers on a 400 gr 2312...big. They fly pretty near my FP but hit about 1-1 1/2" low @35. I use a slide type site though, so it' s a simple marking on the gaurd btw the two.