Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Browning Cobra

Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default Browning Cobra

This bow is really old; at least 20 years. To make matters worse I left it in my garage to dry after doing some touch up on the camo paint I was applying when my best friends wife ran it over...

All it did was bust the quiver off but there are some fiberglass threads showing, no cracking and it seems to pull and release fine. This has been my hunting buddy for 19 years but should I replace it?

Guns I can smith but archery tackle I have never gotten into beyond fletching...
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy Safety first!

Even if the bow was not damaged, storing a bow like that in a garage is risky. The Cobra was made like a laminated recurve. The thing that makes an old bow like that risky to shoot is heat. Dries out the laminations, raises the draw weight, and makes the limbs brittle. The fact that the bow was "run over" should be the nail in the coffin for shooting it. Would be for me. I have a Browning Bantam, much like the Cobra. Mine is a little unusual, as it is a 68# draw wt. Most bows of that time were 50 or 60#. I shoot it once in a while, but newer bows are a lot easier to shoot and hit with. JMHO