Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrows, Arrows, Arrows...AHHH My head is spinning!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 3Children
BTW a 400 spine arrow will do you well in a carbon. GT rates their shafts with numbers and it would be a 3555, most others would have 400 on the shaft.
I hope you mean 500, i just bought a dozen GT xt hunters, and i got 5575s. I sure hope they are .400s cuz if they aren't, i'm probably overspined.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Okik

Okik,
I see that you weren't kidding when you said you were a newbie. So let's start from scratch. I don't want you to get discouraged.
First off you said you were shooting 28.5in arrows at 28in draw length but your actual draw length is 26. Everyone should have stopped you right there. You will need to see if the bow can be adjusted down to 26in draw length otherwise.. your form will be so far off that you will scrape your left arm with the string when you shoot and have the nock anchored behind your ear(slightly exaggerated). This won't work. And the chances are your older Bear compound(assuming) won't adjust to your 26DL.
My advice..go to a bow shop and get measured for correct draw length...take your Bear with you and ask what adjustments can be made. If it won't adjust to your needed specs....then it's time to start looking at a bow that will meet your DL and poundage requirements. Bows these days are much more adjustable for specific shooter needs...kids/women/short DL/low poundage.
40lbs.....how old are you? Can you pull more weight? Bear makes a couple great Youth/Lower poundage/Draw Weight bows.
I just bought a Bear Apprentice for my wife that adjusts from 20-50lbs and Draw Length from 15-27in. With all accessories, 3pin sight, WB Rest, String Loop, 3 carbon arrows, 2 piece quiver, stabilizer, and even 3 broadheads..for $279 shipping inc. All she needed was the $25 Tru-Fire Patriot Release.

You will want a release...get a Tru Fire Patriot it's cheap and decent quality. Have a string loop installed.
Then we can talk arrows......
P.S. Vanes are simply the plastic/feather(Fletching) attachment at the end of the arrow that rotates the arrow in flight to provide stabilization.

Last edited by sixgunluvr; 08-21-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Don't give up!

Okik

I saw this post of yours.....
Okik..... even though I've only been shooting my compound for about a month, I'm already thinking about ditching it and going Trad?

I mean don't get me wrong, I do enjoy shooting my compound (albeit the draw is too long for me), but when I have to fiddle-faddle with all the accessories I just get really frustrated.

I mean, I got to mess with the sights, then I have my whisker biscuit rest which doesn't work well with me using fingers, so now I gotta get a release, but even then I have to get a drop-away rest because the wb is hell on my vanes..... on and on and on.....

I just enjoy shooting and I just wanna have fun shooting 3d and sending arrows downrange.
Don't give up....the 2 inches in draw length alone is not allowing for consistent shooting. You need correct DL to be comfortable and consistent. The WB is fine just get some 2in. High Profile Vanes(Blazer,Fusion,VanTec, etc) and a release and string loop. Get some arrows cut to your draw length.
Get a bow that meets your correct draw length, draw weight...buy a release and string loop with some 26-27in arrows and you won't want to put the bow down.....................