Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

21% foc?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck getting that high of an FOC with them 2315's or just aluminum's In general. I shot a similar arrow to yours (2216's) for years and tried upping my FOC. When I 1st learned of this FOC stuff 2 years ago I checked my arrows and they were at 8% FOC with 125 grain tips on them. I thought wow, that's low!! I then threw 200 grain tips on and my FOC was then 12%. My arrow flight was still good being these 2216's were a little on the stiff side to begin with. I didn't try adding more weight to the tip being I got talked Into trying out Easton FMJ's Instead. I was told tuning was going to be a bitch If I tried adding more weight to my 2216's so I just quit. Maybe It would've worked too, not sure. Adding 50 more grains though wouldn't have gotten my FOC where I wanted It anyway with my 2216's. I was aiming for 19% FOC.

I'll say this though that I never once had penetration problems with my 2216's. Total arrow weight Including my 125 grain Snuffer was 560 grains. My heavy set up made up for the low FOC. A light arrow set up to me won't make up for a low FOC. Gotta love momentum.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Big - You are saying spine deflection of .300, versus the .340 that I am now shooting?
Yep, according to ontarget you need a .3" spine like a 3-71, or you can cut 3" off. But not too many people have that luxury.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can go with the ACC's or an all carbon in .300 spine.Many to choose from.Use feathers and that will up the FOC as well.

I use a .440 spine and a 150 grain head with inserts and yield 19% foc.

Most heavy points won't tip you to the next spine unless you are on the light side to begin with.I am always in the middle to stiff side so it was a non issue for me to go heavy.