Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

recurve wrist slap

Old 07-03-2003, 12:50 PM

Default recurve wrist slap

I bought a PSE Coyote recurve bow from my brother last fall. I' m planing on useing this bow for deer hunting this fall (I have no choise since my other two compound bows where destroyed when out house burned down) My problem is that the string slaps my wrist every time I shoot. I have tried holding my bow differnt and differnt tecniques but the result is always the same. Is this a common problem with recurves? Will it affect my accuracy? I will appreciate any help that I can get thanks
Old 07-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Default RE: recurve wrist slap

If you are positive the problem is not caused by hand torque or arm too extended, I would suspect that your string has " creeped" to the max or the bow has a twisted limb, or both limbs are twisted.

I suggest you post your problem in the " Traditional" forum. There are shooters in there that will pinpoint your problem.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: recurve wrist slap

Since you' re an experience shooter, I doubt you' re getting your hand too far around the grip. Your draw length isn' t likely to be too long. An overextended bow arm might be the culprit but I suspect either brace height or arrows that are too light.

Put about 5-6 twists in the string to raise the brace height and see if it helps. If it helps, but still makes contact, put another 5-6 twists in the string to raise it some more.

If you' re shooting light carbons, you might try adding some weight by stuffing a few strands of weedeater line in a couple and see what that does for you.

Also, make sure your arrow nocks aren' t too tight on the string. They should be just snug enough to hold the arrow on the string with the arrow pointed at the ground, but loose enough that they' ll fall off when you thump the string.