Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why should I get a string supressor?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like I said I have some bows with them and some without. I've been shooting a long, long, long time.... And I survived without one for many years. I just don't depend on one to stop the string from popping my arm.. I do wear an arm guard with my longs bows however..

Personally I won't lose one minute of sleep if you have one or not.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Like I said I have some bows with them and some without. I've been shooting a long, long, long time.... And I survived without one for many years. I just don't depend on one to stop the string from popping my arm.. I do wear an arm guard with my longs bows however..

Personally I won't lose one minute of sleep if you have one or not.
Ive been shooting awhile myself and didnt use one for years. Thats the problem with guys who have been shooting a long, long, long time. They tend to get stuck in the old school way of thinking. As far as Im concerned there is only advantages when using one and no drawbacks. So why not use one.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
What bow you shoot has 5" BH? Even my longbows don't have that.
When I said 5 and 6 inch brace height bows I meant in that range, not exactly those brace heights.There are several bows that are in the neihborhood of 5.5-6.5 inch brace heights. Just to name a few makers that offer bows with low brace heights, PSE, Bowtech, Elite.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by passthru79
When I said 5 and 6 inch brace height bows I meant in that range, not exactly those brace heights.There are several bows that are in the neihborhood of 5.5-6.5 inch brace heights. Just to name a few makers that offer bows with low brace heights, PSE, Bowtech, Elite.
and mathews with their 5" and 6" monster series bows...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ive been shooting awhile myself and didnt use one for years. Thats the problem with guys who have been shooting a long, long, long time. They tend to get stuck in the old school way of thinking. As far as Im concerned there is only advantages when using one and no drawbacks. So why not use one.
Now you don’t know what you’re talking about! I am on the forefront of new innovative products I’m not only into archery, I live it and breathe it. I work outdoor events promoting the sport and shoot competition and demonstrate long range shooting. I hardly doubt that I’m not in tune with what is going on in archery.
I’ve seen gimmicks come and go, and seen lots of money thrown down the trash on junk because most archers are like sheep, following others that don’t know squat bout archery!
I didn’t say that the STS doesn’t work, it was intended to be a STRING SURPRESSOR ( and it works for that), not a freaking arm guard!
Before you go spouting off at someone learn who you are spouting off about!
And if you read my post, I SAID I HAVE SOME BOWS THAT HAVE ONE AND SOME THAT DON'T! Mean V on this forum makes a hell of a good one at that!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Now you don’t know what you’re talking about! I am on the forefront of new innovative products I’m not only into archery, I live it and breathe it. I work outdoor events promoting the sport and shoot competition and demonstrate long range shooting. I hardly doubt that I’m not in tune with what is going on in archery.
I’ve seen gimmicks come and go, and seen lots of money thrown down the trash on junk because most archers are like sheep, following others that don’t know squat bout archery!
I didn’t say that the STS doesn’t work, it was intended to be a STRING SURPRESSOR ( and it works for that), not a freaking arm guard!
Before you go spouting off at someone learn who you are spouting off about!
And if you read my post, I SAID I HAVE SOME BOWS THAT HAVE ONE AND SOME THAT DON'T! Mean V on this forum makes a hell of a good one at that!
I read your posts and saw that you have some with suppressors. If I recall correctly you were the one spouting off about my comments on a string suppressor and critisizing my thoughts on how it does help with the string splapping the arm. If you dont think it helps with that take a look at any high speed video of a bow equipted with a suppressor and one without. There is no need for me to learn who Im spouting off about, specialy when they are more worried about what they think they know instead of learning what they dont know. I dont question your involvement in archery or the outdoors. Thats great to have all the cridentials but it still doesnt excuss the fact that you are wrong when you dont think a string suppressor helps a shooter that is having problems with string slap, weather it be on his bare skin or when wearing a heavy hunting jacket. Yes some shooters suffer string slap when they have bad form but I dont care what form you have if your wearing enough cloths to keep warm in minus zero weather your probably gonna have issues with hitting your sleeve. I garentee you a suppressor helps with that.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read your posts and saw that you have some with suppressors. If I recall correctly you were the one spouting off about my comments on a string suppressor and critisizing my thoughts on how it does help with the string splapping the arm. If you dont think it helps with that take a look at any high speed video of a bow equipted with a suppressor and one without. There is no need for me to learn who Im spouting off about, specialy when they are more worried about what they think they know instead of learning what they dont know. I dont question your involvement in archery or the outdoors. Thats great to have all the cridentials but it still doesnt excuss the fact that you are wrong when you dont think a string suppressor helps a shooter that is having problems with string slap, weather it be on his bare skin or when wearing a heavy hunting jacket. Yes some shooters suffer string slap when they have bad form but I dont care what form you have if your wearing enough cloths to keep warm in minus zero weather your probably gonna have issues with hitting your sleeve. I garentee you a suppressor helps with that.
I will totally agree with this(not ganging up on ya rev) and say that this is a great attribute for the thing that is suppossed to only tame noise Im touching my bare arm with my 41" ata 7" bh C4 right now occassionally and I believe with a jacket and the exact same shot process i would certainly hit my arm, if not every time. It would take a high speed video though to see if it was before or after the arrow left though
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm shoot a 29 in DL. My hunting bows are 30 DL just cause I want the extra speed shooting 543 gn arrow with 21% FOC.
I don't have a surpressor on it, I never pop my arm and for all practical purposes I should with the extra inch.

I will teach you both how to shoot if you allow me to.
come to my indoor range in Texas, and I'll be glad to give you some free lessons. Normally I get 25.00 an hour for private lessons, I'll wave it for you both...

Last edited by The Rev; 07-22-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

If any of you folks get around to figuring out a way to make the XT even quieter, I'm interested in knowing what it is.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rev,
I appreciate the offer on the lessons but truth be told I can hold my own against most anyone and Im not sure where are discusion about a string suppressor in any way made you think I need shooting lessons. The fact that you instruct people on how to shoot is great but in no way does that make me think your any better of an archer than I am. Just because you shoot an inch long draw doesnt mean you will get arm slap. I shoot a 29" draw and truth its a tad long for me but like you side the extra speed is nice. If you have good enough form to get away with a longer draw its beneficial,but some people arent consistant enough to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.