Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how do you know

Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default how do you know

how do you know when its time for a new string. I want to get a new bow but dont know if its in the budget this year. I am not planning on spending alot for my next bow so I would prefer not to restring this bow. I probably wouldnt even get my money back on the string. I have heard guys say it is very dangerous to have an old string on your bow when it snaps. Are we talking like damn that hurt or where the hell is my face.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Most manufacturers recommend that you replace string and cables yearly,but you can also tell when to replace by monitoring string creep,measure your axle to axle length and if you notice a change its time to replace also keep your string/cables waxed but IMO you should never go over two years,replacements aren't that expensive but a failure could cost you your bow and the risk of severe injury.hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

guess I might as well get another bow. I have an old golden eagle. it was my first bow and its harvested its worth in deer, but it is just time to move up to something with a little more ease and that dont go thwong like a juse harp everytime I shoot it
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sussexhunter
guess I might as well get another bow. I have an old golden eagle. it was my first bow and its harvested its worth in deer, but it is just time to move up to something with a little more ease and that dont go thwong like a juse harp everytime I shoot it
If you have an idea of what you are looking for check out Ebay,you can pick up some good deals there i've seen some really good deals on new and last year model bows there may save you some bucks if you know what your wanting..Good luck
Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I ve seen some bows on this site too. Now all Ineed is some money haha. Had the car repo this morning, wife has to go to oklahoma for family emergency, overdrew my bank account and owe 211 dollars, then ran out of propane right before work. One of those days when you want to just say the hell with it ya know. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

How old is the bow? You do know that a string will be a whole lot less than a new bow. It sounds like you are strapped for cash, so now might not be the time to get a new bow. PM sent
Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guy at the bow shop told me at least every 5 years replace it but I think 3 or 4 may be better. I used to keep them on forever if they looked good but learned a lesson when I had a perfectly good looking string pop on me...not fun. Bow strings are not very expensive....
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

They repo'd your car and you're thinking about buying a new bow!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Bernie, it s all most huntin season round here. Around this time my stomach starts to knot up when I even think about hunting or anything closely related. I got blinders on haha. Lucky I have my dog training to keep me going. Not like that is much cheaper.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
The guy at the bow shop told me at least every 5 years replace it but I think 3 or 4 may be better. I used to keep them on forever if they looked good but learned a lesson when I had a perfectly good looking string pop on me...not fun. Bow strings are not very expensive....
5 years? I replace the strings and cables on most of my bows two times a year! 1,500 shots is all I put on my strings. Of course not too many people shoot more than I do daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.