Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Homemade broadhead target?

Old 07-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Homemade broadhead target?

Hi Rangeball ,
you can fill a cardboard box with triple expanding insulation foam for about $4-8 . Look for it in the paint dept. at Wally World , make sure it' s the triple expanding kind . If pass through is a concern put some layers of newspaper in the middle before applying the foam . This is what I use for a gun target , and it will stop a muzzleloader round if you do it right . It helps to hang a piece of carpet behind it when you' re shooting .
Old 07-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the expanding foam, is broadhead removal a big issue?

That idea sounds the best so far...

Also, does the box need to be 3x3? What depth is needed for shooting 300 fps?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:08 AM
CG

Rangeball,
I' m not shooting 300 fps but I' m shooting 275 fps w/ a 485 gr. arrow......The tips barely come out the back........I' ve shot it about 400-500 times and have yet to even bury an arrow to the fletchings....for the money it is hard to beat.....Arrow removal isn' t easy but it' s easier than pulling a feild tip from a 3D target.....
Old 07-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Spike

Macdaddy --- I live in the Lakeville (Mn.) area. I sure would appreciate knowing where to pick up this stuff. Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 11:45 AM

Over the years, I have shot various broadhead targets made of various materials. The target design and material I found to be the best and very durable is the one that Bob Gresko has described.

I don' t know if you can still find the older hemp-type material of Celotex, but you can now use the " fiberboard" insulation that is used on roofs. Just make sure you get the " non-asphalt" type. The non-asphalt should not have an asphalt covered side or asphalt particles in the composition.

It is not fun trying to remove a broadhead that is buried in the target if the target material envelops and traps the head. In addition, if you pull any head (bh or fp) off and it is left in the target, the chance of hitting the head is high.

With the design as Bob described, 1) you have some control over penetration depth by tightening or loosening the clamps, 2) you can easily loosen the clamps, fan the target sections and remove a lost head, and 3) most often you only have to replace just several center sections to rejuvenate the target

Keep the material protected from rain saturation.

Old 07-03-2003, 07:20 AM

I' m in Hudson WI, right on the border. I use round bales that are about the size of a trash can. Approx 24" x 36" They are very easy to pull arrows out of and they stop them at 10 yards 280 fps. If anyone wants one email me and I will pick some up and have them waiting for you by my place.

[email protected]
Old 07-03-2003, 07:57 AM

I make mine similar to Bobs except I use 1/4" thick 8" x15" pieces of foam shipping sheating. Works like the BLOCK.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:47 PM

Nub,

I am very interested in your target system. Would you please post a pic of it and if you could tell me the exact name of what it is. I called several suppliers in my area, and nobody knew what I was talking about.

Thanks!

Tim

If you want to email the pic to me my address is
[email protected]
Old 07-05-2003, 08:55 PM
nub

Tim: I believe its called, and excuse the spelling, expanded polystyrene or EPS. I buy it for rubber flat roof systems through a roofing supplier. I can also get it from a local insulation dist. I can take a pic tomorrow perhaps. It just looks like a white block of foam 4' X4' X16" . Are you close to Seattle? I' ll look on the net too and see if I can find a pic.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:11 PM
nub

Tim: This pick just shows a few sizes. This link should show ABC Supply stores in Wa. http://www.abcsupply.com/state/wash.html They would at least know what I' m talking about.

Quick Reply: Homemade broadhead target?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.