Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on Rests

Old 06-27-2003, 11:12 AM

Default Question on Rests

Hello! I' m very new to this board and apologize if I as a question that has been asked a hundred times before. I have a question about rests. First, I have a Hoyt Mt Sport, and I shoot carbon arrows. Currently I have a NAP QT1000 rest.

1. The arrows that I use have helical fletchings and I notice that they rub the launchers on release (the vane developed a black " streak" ). Is the solution to this problem easier than getting a dropaway style rest?

2. The carbon arrow shafts have started to wear away at the shrink tube covering the launchers, and is actually wearing at the aluminum. Do they make a " tougher" shrink tube, or, again, should I get the dropaway?

Thanks!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:27 AM

Default RE: Question on Rests

Hey grizzly, Don' t worry about the question, its only been asked 86 times

Prong rests and Helical ussually do not get along.

If you are going to stay with the helical then I would suggest a drop-away.

Or, you can change to a 2 or 3 deg offset (still great with brodheads). Usually you cna fiddle enough to get them to work with a prong rest.

Old 06-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not a promotion but just another option you might want to consider. The wisker bisquit is a rest that doesn' t seem to conflict with helical flechings.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

NAp recommends that you move the rest in the direction of the prong with the wear. I shot the 1000 with helicals for a long time. All I ever had to do was move the rest toward the wear and it worked for me.

I just wish my problem now were so simple. I am having fletching - cable contact and the proshop will be making adjustments next week.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:07 PM

You might be able to adjust the prongs to allow your fletching to clear, you may also have to play with arrow nock rotation. Another option as stated above is to shoot an offset fletch or you may even want to go to feathers since they are more forgiving.

Prong rests can shoot helical but you often have to play with them. They are much easier to work with if you are shooting aluminums such as a 2317, 2413, or 2512. These shafts really allow you to adjust the prongs. With carbons it takes a bit more time & tuning.