Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length question?

Old 06-24-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Draw length question?

For years I shot with fingers, 30.5 inches LOP, and a bow that was 42 inches ATA and quite heavy. I shot with one finger over and two under and anchored with my index finger to the corner of my mouth. I' m considering buying a new bow (Hoyt) and making the switch to shooting with a release. If I make this switch will my draw length increase when shooting with a release because of the different method of anchoring and anchor point? I know that adding a string loop adds approx. .5 inches in length, but will it change based on the different method of release and anchoring and anchor point? I recently drew a friends Razortec that was a 31.5 inch LOP with his release and drew it all the way to the wall and it felt comfortable and was not too long for me as I expected it to be. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:47 PM

Default RE: Draw length question?

When you go to a release, your draw length will shorten. You want to pull your arm back into a similar position. Because of the length of the release and the fact that your fingers are not around the string, but in back of it, the true draw length will be shorter by as much as 2 or 3 inches, depending upon your new release.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was shooting with a 29" draw length with fingers on a 44" ATA bow. I switched to the Razortec with a loop and a release and lost 2 1/2" off my draw length.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

But did you shoot the bow at 31.5" ? That will tell you more about your draw length than just hauling the string back and settling into an anchor, especially if you rake all the hide off the inside of your bow arm with the string.

I don' t change my bow' s draw length when I switch from release to fingers or vice versa. I take a shallow hook when shooting fingers, string on the pads of my finger tips just ahead of the knuckle line. When going to release, I adjust my release strap to where the trigger rests in the crease of the second knuckle. (Having it out on the tip knuckle, I tend to punch the trigger instead of drawing through it.) The length of the release head and the loop, plus anchoring the big knuckle of my index finger behind the curve of the jaw and and the knuckle of my second finger tight against my earlobe, puts the nock of the arrow in the same exact place it comes to when I shoot fingers.