Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New ProTec ?

Old 06-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New ProTec ?

How long should a brand new Hoyt ProTec last?

More than 30 shots?

That`s how long mine lasted![X(]

It`s all better now, but it was not real fun when it came apart. Darn new style super ball peep had a burr that I did not find. Cut the main string in half.

No real damage, I figured something was wrong when the peep started turning like it was possessed. I got the bow into the press and almost cinched down when she let go.

Whipped up another main string, changed peep sights, and she is shooting like a dream!

Don`t know why Hoyt has this bow rated at 294 IBO. I get 297fps at 5 grains at 28.5" draw!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New ProTec ?

I would think a new Protec would last a lifetime.But I would would get a new one before that.

Glad to hear it didn' t get you when it went.That could have been nasty.

I think there speeds are a conservative number.It is probably real close when in the middle to top of the draw range.When you drop down toward the bottom,they tend to lose speed fast.

My Ultratec is way down on speed because I am at the lower end of the draw range.I ended up changing anchor when I went with the backtension and I had to change my draw length to the lower end.At least the Hoyt had the adjustment.

I am thinking about getting a hunting bow with the cam I want for my Ultratec and swaping them.This would put me near the top with both. Of course there would be the strings and cables that I would have to change.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:29 PM

TFOX, I changed the cam, wheel, string and cables on my Cybertec and it was about 150. Not bad to be at the upper end of the draw for the cam. Chris
Old 06-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, yes the smaller cam base sure does make them faster. I am shooting #3 base on the protec.(26.5" -29" ) I am shooting it on the " E" slot, which is 28.5" .

With 356gr. 2312`s, shooting a light 65#, I am getting 282fps with super 3-d nocks. I get 286fps with quad nocks, but it is not worth the hassle to shoot them. You have to sand all of them down to fit into the 2312`s, plus they break if you look at them too long! Very fragile!

I am really impressed with the performance of this bow. Pretty darn good speeds for a bow with a deflex riser and 8 1/4" brace height.

I feel I should add this.....I talked with Specialty Archery Products regarding their new ball peep cutting my string, and they are making it right. They have pulled all remaining stock from Lancaster Archery, who I bought the peep from. Guess Lancaster had some of the peeps from a february run that had flaws.

Anyway, SAP is doing the right thing, and that is not always the case with companys these days.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ridgerunner

I am not wanting to spend $150.00 to have a set of cams laying around.

I could buy the new Razor I have been wanting with the #4 cams and swap it with my Ultra # 5 and then the Ultra would top out at 28 1/2" The razor would top at 29" .This would be pretty good for my 28" - 28.25" draw.Give me the speed that I am trying to get for 3-d with my 58# draw weight.Not really worried about the speed for hunting.Really I am not overly concerned about it for 3-d.Just looking for an excuse to tell the wife so I can get the new bow.

This would give me the Hunting bow I want and all I would have to worry about then is the extra $100.00 for strings and cables for both.

Oh yea,what about the accesories.[] Looks like I need to think of something to tell her for that.Oh,I got it.I sold my hunting bow to HER BROTHER.With all the extras.(practically give it to him) I am getting closer to that new bow all the time.

YEAH RIGHT[:-][8D]

Bigcountry

Glad to hear that they are making good with the problem.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:14 PM

Big Country

I' ve had my new Protec for two months now. I realy like it. My bow is 84lbs at 32" draw with spiral cams, I shoot Gold Tip' s with inserts and 125 grain heads, total grains 560. How does 286-288 sound. And the bow shoots like a dream.
bMott
Old 06-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bmott, glad to hear you like your PT.

32" draw! That`s cheating!

With roughly 101ke, you could probably hunt deer with that rig, but I would leave the big stuff alone!
Old 06-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think he would get a passthrough on an elephant with that setup.

WOW...

Makes me feel like I am shooting a toy with my 57 ft/lb of ke.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the confidence in my setup. I also have old bows (Grand Slams, PSE and a Jennings Elephant bow that pull over 100 lbs. at 31" draw. I used to shoot them without sights instinctively but I' m getting a little older now so the Hoyt' s weight is about my max.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve had my ProTec for just about 2 years now. My draw length isn' t quite as short as Bmott' s so I had to go Accuwheels and LXPro limbs. 33.5" draw, set at 60 pounds with 470 grain arrows, I get around 240-245 fps. It' s finally broke in now, after some 50,000 shots.