Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

magnus broadheads

Old 06-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default magnus broadheads

Has anyone found a difference in the magnus stinger and there original 2 blade 100grain heads besides the replaceable blades on the stinger? both are vented and seem durable..
Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: magnus broadheads

The regular screw in line are larger and harder to get to fly well. That' s not to say they don' t shoot well, but it takes a little more work. The stingers are much easier to tune, sharp enough to hunt with right from the pack, and in my opinion a big improvement on an already excellent product. Wait to you see the new 4 blade 100 grn stingers, now that' s a broadhead!!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 shot, have you had a chance to fling the new 4 blade yet? If so, did I miss a review somewhere? This head is currently at the top of my pick list, just waiting on your words of wisdom...
Old 06-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magnus Stinger 4blade 100grain

Accuracy 4 points
Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 4 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 3 points
Blades 4 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score 26 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The Magnus Stinger 4 blade 100 grain is a truly outstanding broadhead. It is a basic 2blade cut on contact style head, with the addition of small bleeder blades. The bleeders are small enough that they don’t hinder penetration to any great degree, yet they provide just enough extra cutting, surface to really open up the wound channel. I would say it is the perfect balance of penetration and cutting area.
I found the accuracy to be excellent. The heads grouped well and right with my field points at ranges out to 40 yards. In the plywood test the head penetrated the board with an inch or so of shaft. In the tire the head made it through the first side, stopping just after complete penetration. This is only one of two 4blade heads to make it all the way through the tire. The only other was the Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain, and I would consider that excellent company to be with. In the steel drum the head busted through the first wall with the tip penetrating up to the front of the bleeders. Again this is excellent performance from a 4 blade head. Other than the typical scaring of the blades from the tire, the head was in great shape after all the testing was completed.
For those looking to use a cut on contact style head, but would prefer a 4 blade model to increasing the cutting capacity and offer potentially better blood trails I think this is the best one I have seen. It offers just the right balance of all the things a cut on contact style head should have, without going overboard. For women and young archers with lower powered setups, the two, blade version would probably be a better choice, but for the average setup the 4 blade stinger would make a great choice.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh myyyyy....

Looks like that decision is made

5shot, thanks for all you do.