Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Short ATA & Long DL Problems

Old 06-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Short ATA & Long DL Problems

My husband is having trouble getting his peep sight to line up with his eye on the new Patriot he got. We have tried lengthening and shortening the draw, but nothing works and I wondered if it had something to do with his draw length of around 30" and the ata of 33 3/4" . He says the peep hole is at such a severe angle when at full draw he can' t see the pins. We also can' t seem to get the string to touch his nose and go across the corner of his mouth at the same time without lengthening the draw way too much for his anchor. Any advice out there? Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:04 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Short ATA & Long DL Problems

Try another peep, I use the Tru Peep & the hole is angled so it helps. Without knowing which peep he' s using it' s hard to make a suggestion.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:14 PM

The anchors you' re trying to achieve are good anchors. Trying to achieve them with the DL/ATA differential you' ve chosen is very troublesome. This is why I always tout shorter ATA for shorter DLs and longer ATA for longer DLs. It just works better.

Trying an angled peep will help with the sight picture; but, it will not help with getting the nose on the string with a proper release anchor because of the severe angle of the string.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:57 PM

I' ve got a 29 1/2 inch draw length and I' ve never had any problem seeing through a peep or getting the proper anchor/ contact points for alignment. I do have a high anchor in that I shoot a wrist strap release and anchor with my index finger knuckle under my earlobe. My kisser button is 1 1/4 inches above the arrow' s nock that I put in the center and between my lips and my nose is centered on the string, kisser and nose just touching. A shorter bow may require a form change if you are used to shooting something longer, you just have to adjust to the feel. Definately go with an angled peep. I shoot my Patriots as accurately as the longer bows I have.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lady Arwen,

My first thoughts were along the same line as what has already been suggested above. Possibly a different peep sight might help open up his sight picture with a sharply angled string.

Second, as Len stated, though those reference points are usually very good ones to go by, trying to get them to work on every setup is difficult if not impossible. Using one common reference point and then improvising on the others might be the way to go.

Third, I am currently shooting a Patriot SC at a 30 inch draw length and have absolutely no trouble seeing clearly through the peep sight. Actually, I also have a 31 inch axle to axle length bow that I am shooting with a 30.75 inch draw length and the same style peep sight and I do not have problems seeing my pins through the peep with that bow either.

My point is simply to try to be a little flexible with the setup. He will find something that works well for him.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:27 AM

Is it at an angle because of the angle of the string or is it " twisting" , rotating as he draws??

If it is twisting you need to change how you splice the peep in.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:47 PM

LA,
I had a similar problem with my G2 and corrected it by moving the kisser and the peep much closer to the arrow than on my older bow. I only had to make a minor adjustment to my anchor and the setup worked just fine. It sounds like he' s having the exact same problem I had. I used the measurements from my old bow and they just won' t work on a much shorter ata bow.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

The peep is looking downward because of the severe angle of the string. The Tru Peep is the one that only splits the string into two, not three, right? No catalog in front of me at the moment! He doesn' t use a kisser button, but on the old bow he always put one of the vanes at the corner of his mouth. Can' t duplicate that either with this bow.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Len sugests , I believe he would be much happyer with a longer ata bow , somewhere around 40 inches would do him justice , 38 minimum . Us guys with < 28" draws can get away with shooting shorter brace heights and shorter ata bows with less negitive effects than a longer draw guy , its just easyer for us because of the angles involved . I think hed be happy with a 7" plus brace allso 8" evan better .
Old 06-19-2003, 01:33 PM

I shoot over 29" draw and a 34" a-a bow and have no problems with the peep.

I don' t know??????

Quick Reply: Short ATA & Long DL Problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.