Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Short ATA & Long DL Problems

Old 06-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Short ATA & Long DL Problems

Rack-attack: Do you use one of the peeps with the rubber tubing?

In hindsight he probably would have been better off with a longer ata, but now that the money is spent we are going to have to make the best of the situation. I don' t think the brace height is an issue on this bow, if I remember right it is still like 7 1/4 or something around there.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:56 PM

No, I use a peep that splits the string in two and has the built in angle to it.

When at full draw there is no tilt to it.

It is possible to put this peep in backwards.
Could that be the problem?????
Old 06-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a silly question, but we did check that too! Except for changing the rubber tubing peep to one of the angled types I don' t know what else we can do. We messed with it a whole afternoon last Saturday and it looks like this weekend is going to be the same! I agree that he may have to change his form somewhat to accomodate this problem. We all know how easy it is to teach an old dog new tricks within three months! Hee Hee! I' m sure we' ll get it worked out somehow.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:26 PM

I' m coming out to Colorado (Grand Junction) at the end of August. I could bring the parts and fix it then if you' re not successful.

I have successfully shot 34" bows with a 29 1/2" draw using the Tru-Peep. The anchor points and head angle do change; but, like anything, you can get used to it. You can also buy a PSE Mongoose peep (1/8 or 1/4" ) if you want an angled peep with a tube attached. Sometimes the Tru-Peep style can be a pain to keep positioned.

Make sure he has a sight with a level for that short ATA bow. With shorter ATA bows and longer draw lengths, it is very easy to ' cant' the bow and move right out of the kill zone at longer distances. We do a LOT of offset stabilization for people who want to shoot shorter ATA bows.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Now, Len that was not a smart thing to tell me about you being in Grand Junction come August! You know that I am going to have to bug you in elk camp just to shake your hand at the least, pick your brain at the most, and kick your butt if you get a small elk at the worst! Maybe I am making a big assumption, but most guys come out this way at that time to hunt elk.

We' ll fiddle with it this weekend and hopefully get it fixed. We do use a level. And no joke about coming out to meet ya! Thank you!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:25 PM

Well, you caught me. I will be elk hunting starting August 30. Hopefully, I' ll be successful this time.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lady Arwen:

Is your husband using the rubber tubing type peep from his older bow? Fine line peeps used to be angled for longer bows, and the newer ones have a different angle that works better with shorter bows. As others have mentioned, the Fletcher Tru peep should work fine, as long as you get it set up correctly.

This year, I also started shooting a short bow (34" a2a, 7 1/4" brace height). I had to change reference points slightly as well as leaning my head slightly toward the target to get the reference point to match up with the anchor. Like your husband, I like to have the fletch touch my lip. I also use a kisser button, but set it up to touch my nose instead of the mouth. I am not using a peep sight, but have my string wrapped with bright orange thread (just a few wraps each) and use it to align with my sight pin guard at full draw. It is as accurate as a peep for me, but then I don' t live out west where the shots are probably longer. If the peep continues to be a problem, it might be worth trying. A good peep sight designed for a shorter bow should work though. Hope it all works out for you.