Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight issues with bowtec

Old 06-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight issues with bowtec

Phil:

Thanks very much for the offer. As I said, I am not planning on changing anything about my setup (except to refletch some arrows that need it!) I know it is only June, but my setup is the best I have gotten so far, and I am not going to mess it up by thinking and tinkering.

Dave:

Is the Deluxe QS Biscuit trimmed flat on the side that faces the string? I only have helical clamps, and with biscuit trimmed, I have no problems with my " Whacking Basket." [&:] Muzzy practice blades are flying just fine, thank you!

Hope you get your problem solved. I had some contact issues with the Trophy Taker, and I remember Rack Attack had some too. Walks with a Gimp has a better rest, if you still want to go with a drop away.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:00 AM

Dave C, e-mail me your postal address and if you want to try a Plainsman drop away, I' ll mail you one. If you like it, you can pay me or send it back if you don' t. Reach me at ; [email protected]
Old 06-20-2003, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

WWAG, thanks for the offer, let me see where i can get with the $100+ $$ I' ve already got going on for this bows rest.

Just a quick note on where the sun went down on me. I chickened out on trying the WB and decided to raise the nock and arrow rest to above the burger holes. This got me to within 1" of using the 20 pin at 20 yards. I then realized i only got fletching contact when trying to shoot anything but cock feather up. So I went back to cock up, put the rest dead even on the burger holes and adjusted the nock back down until I was once again shooting bullets. If I want to use this rest I will have to use a modified drop down bracket.

A simply ground down drop down bracket is not gonna cut it as the sights main frame would bump into the cable slide mount requiring it to be ground down also. Something I' m not gonna do. (just look at any sights, the hole is greater than .25" away from the edge of the metal). If I use it i will drill new holes between the brass threads and the existing holes. I have enough clearance if I drill it towards the edge of the bracket offset from the existing holes. This would gain me a .25" which is exactly what I need.

I will try the WB when I get home from the lease on Saturday to see what difference it makes. If the arrow is falling down with the Shaky hunter this will not allow it to do so.

Joe PA, Yes I trimmed the back of the Bisquit flush with the edge. But for some reason my helical (bohning vanes) fletched arrows would tear at the tips not to mention the 5 fps loss compared to straight fletched 2 fps. I figured if this was the way I was gonna go I' d rather be 2 or 3 degree offset that pure helical.
I shot my WB equipped mathews for a quick comparison and wow, it sure feels weird to shoot another bow after flinging so many arrows through the bowtec. It wasn' t as smooth as I remembered. Not bad, but different draw curve. Almost felt like it needed greasing. And wheres the wall? J/K

Well I' m off to the lease to scout around and trim some shooting lanes.
Thanks for all the help and I' ll update if I get home early enough on Saturday to play with it.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:07 AM

When I first put my toxioncs pendulum site on my bow, which is a hoyt, I couldn' t get the pin up high enough for 20 yards. I bought the toxoincs extender to get past the limb. but the pin was too high out of the site window of the bow. I have since changed my anchor point to keep the pin in the site window.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:49 AM

I talk and talk and talk and talk...........and nobody ever listens

Dave, welcome to my nightmare - sorry to hear the MM also has nock travel issues[:' (].

The more I talk to people shooting dropaways with Bowtechs the more I suspect an across the board nock travel problems with many of there Solo cams.

I have gotten my Solo Pat to work with the TT and just the cord. My nock is almost at 90 degres level and the pullup cord is at the limit of pressure being put on the down cable.

What I have found is when one moves the nock up to clear fletching it actually creates more nock down travel. And if the rest is dropping to soon will actually make the problem worse. Do what you can to keep the rest up as long as possible.

Really check your cam timing ,because this can really increase the problem.

I understand your frustration and good luck
Old 06-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey rack. I read, I listened, I understood.
Then, I forgot. I bought[&o].
Then I remembered and here I am.
I thought I had the shakey hunter licked and am achieving great groups at 20 and 26 yards (as far as I can shoot). But I can' t get the Toxonics sight to work. So yes, it could very well be I didn' t have the TT SH licked at all. It could have very well had me fooled.
I will know more tomorrow when I retry the WB and see if I can use the 20 pin with it. I' m too pooped to try it today.

Bees, sounds like we have the same but opposite problem. I can' t get the twenty pin low enough. I will run over the toxonics sight with my truck before I consider changing my anchor point to accomodate it,no offense meant for your change, I' m just not willing to do so.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:07 PM

I will run over the toxonics sight with my truck before I consider changing my anchor point to accomodate it
LOL......I hear Ya...[:-]
Old 06-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I switched rest. Tuned the WB to where the arrows sits directly in front of the burger holes at rest. And the nock is within 1/8" above square (I may try lowering this until it shows up on paper).
With the WB the fixed 20 pin, with gang adjust about hanging off the sight mount bracket, my group still about .5-1" low at 20 yards.
I still cannot center the group using this sight without the modified sight drop down bracket. Unless tweaking the nocking point will raise the arrow .25" at 20 yards.

What this means-
1. I need another .25" of verticle adjustment on the toxonics sight.
2. The shaky hunter was dropping the arrow quicker than desired.
3. If the sight holes were a .25" closer to the burger holes as they are on my other two bows this thread would have never existed!!

Now I sit wondering which route to go next. I like the theory of the drop away, but the bisquit works well for me also.
The nice guy at the " Artesian Arrow" returned my call today and said he would fletch me up a new dozen arrows straight fletch and send them tommorrow. I assured him I would gladly accept the arrows I ordered and he already fletched with right hand twist, but he wouldn' t hear of it. He kept saying it was no problem at all. He can sell those to someone else. (once again- great customer service)

So for now it looks like I' ll use the WB. If I change my mind later I will fletch up the new dozen 340 ics camo hunters I bought on e-bay with helical fletch and go from there.

Would the trophy taker drop away lowering the arrow to quickly have any adverse effect on the flight of the arrow when I try to shoot broadheads with that setup?

Thanks for all the help guys and any further advice will be considered and welcomed.

I hope others have learned from this experience.

P.s.- the buzz buster won' t work on the mighty might or the mathews z-light. not enough space on the cable guard between at rest and full draw (the cable slide smacks inot it before you reach full draw)
Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 AM

Hmmm, uh, well...good luck with the broadheads. Sounds to me like you really anchor super high, like are you looking down the shaft at full draw??????????????? Can you lower your anchor 1/4 inch?? It would be a very " quick fix" . Are you sure you want straight fletch with broadheads?
Old 06-24-2003, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anchor- thumb nuckle at jaw bone. Nose touching fletching/string. Peep sight about 4.75" above nock. I haven' t measured the last one, but on my other two bows with the same 36" ata the peep is 4 3/8" above the nock. This didn' t seem to work very well with the shorter 31.5" ata and I had to move the peep up the string if I wanted a natural anchor/ peep sight relationship. (when I draw with my eye' s closed and then open my shooting eye, I want to be looking straight through the peep. no head bobbing).

Straight fletched- last year I achieved sub 3" at 30 yard groups with muzzy 4 blade 100 grain b/h and straight fletched arrows. I switched to mechanicals mid season and dropped the number to- 2" .
For some reason of the three mechanicals I practiced with(shockwaves,sidewinders and snypers), the sidewinders flew the best & most consistant.

If I have flight issues with straight fletch I will simply fletch up some helical arrows for hunting and use them for just that. Last year I shot both and the point of impact was only slightly different. Still within a resectible group.

Quick Reply: Sight issues with bowtec

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.