Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rocket Ultimate Steel 75 grn.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Rocket Ultimate Steel 75 grn.

I have been shooting this little head for a week now. It is one of the better flying heads I have shot. Cool design with a VERY short body and TINY little blades with a steep angle. No blade loss and what seems to be a solid blade retention system. Blades are very sharp out of the box.

But it is so small. I couldn' t believe it when I pulled them out of the box. The blades are about 1/2 the size of a penny[] Rocket states 1" dia and it seems close but because of the tiny design it seems MUCH smaller. The actual cutting surface area on this head has to be the lowest of any head I have ever seen. I have my doupts as to wether I will use it or not this fall.

Any one else shooting this head?

Any thoughts?

5 shot I will send you a head if you want one

Any one need a good chipmunk head[&:]
Old 06-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Rocket Ultimate Steel 75 grn.

Rack

Just received my 125 grn " Ultimate Steels." You are right; smaller than I visualized. The 125 is a 1-1/16" D-cut. I thought the 75 grn was a 7/8" D-cut?

I have not shot any of the heads, but did load a couple of shafts. The low profile, short ferrule, and blade design does appear to promote excellent aerodynamics. If the ferrule was longer and the tip was coned, the head would resemble the old " Missile Spike."

I do like the way the head does not appear to have command of the shaft as a larger fixed head does. If the head passes all the " run up" tests, I will be using mine this fall.

Remember, a perfect shot with a 1" or 1-1/16" d-head through the vitals is deadlier than a passing or glancing cut from a blade-edge of a larger d-head.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

They must have improved their blade retention system since I shot the 100 grainers because I guarantee you couldn' t shoot that head for a week into ANY target without losing a blade.

I did shoot a buck with the 100 grain head which has a slightly smaller advertised cut of 7/8 inches. The shot (a complete passthrough) was a little high. The head stayed together but there was no blood trail to speak of. At least not one I could find to interpret. I did recover the buck and it looked almost like he had been shot with a small caliber rifle.

I can tell you I won' t be shooting any more deer with them.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:21 PM

Just tried out the 125 gr.

I couldn' t screw them in! The inserts in my shafts are too deep and the threds wouldn' t catch. I had to take them back. We really tried to get them to work but no dice. I was trying them in my epsilon sme Heavy Shafts.

We tried them in Vapors and they only screwed in 7/8 of a turn. Not to confidance inspiring to hold them in.

Tried them in easton, and carbon impacts, a little better but not much. Looks like they made that new collar but didn' t adjust the length of the shaft to accomodate.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack I replied to this thread on another site, but thanks for the offer I would like to compare the 75 grn heads to the 100' s. To be honest the early reports are not much better than last years results, but I would like to see first hand. If the offer still stands, drop me an email and I will send you my mailing address. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Look alot like the design used in the Slick Trick broadhead. Very steep blade angle. I have, and some others have had some bad experiences with deflection and skipping. LOL.