Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 06-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Two blades vs three

Navy, congratulations on never making a margnal hit. You asked a lot of questions with a lot " depends" type answers.

Don' t you lose 50% of your cutting ability with a two blade over a three blade?
This depends on what you are calling cutting ability. Do you mean the actual cutting surfaces. I sometimes use a two-bladed stos head that actually has more cutting surface then a lot of three bladed heads. Or do you mean penetration cutting ability (cutting as deeply as possible). A lot of two bladed heads may actually penetrate a bit better on game.

On a marginal hit the extra blade may slice an artery.
True, it might. On the other hand on a marginal hit, you may only have enough penetration to puncture one lung, where as you may be able to get two with the two bladed head. It' s a toss up of what you need in the head, and what game you are hunting.

A two blade with 1 1/8" diameter is bigger than a three blade with a 1 1/8" diameter. Right
Bigger? I don' t know what you mean. I think it would be the same diameter.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-11-2003, 07:40 AM

Default RE: Two blades vs three

?e
Don' t you lose 50% of your cutting ability with a two blade over a three blade
Either I' m missing something important here or my math teachers told me a bunch of big fat lies. A 2 blade vs. 3 blade is a 2:3 ration. A 2:3 ratio equates to 2/3. 2/3 equates to 66.666666%

The way I see it on the two-blade vs. three-blade issue is that there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Two-blades are the most easily sharpened/resharpened in my opinion. Two blades reduce the likelhood of jamming in bone. Two blades require less KE to get the same penetration. Two blades kill very effectively.

Three blades give you an additional blade and, therefore, an additional opportunity to hit a major artery/blood vessel as it passes through. Three-blades make a larger entry wound and often provide a better blood trail. Three-blades CAN be designed to be stronger than two-blades and CAN be designed to reduce the possibility of planing. However, that' s not to say that any given three-blade is designed to improve on either - it' s just potential for the design - and some DO take advantage of that potential.

The head that flies best; is sharpest and works best with the level of KE your setup provides is the best - 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade... whatever.