Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 06-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BRACE HEIGHT WITH DROP AWAY REST

The reasoning behind this really has little to do with the type of rest, A shorter brace height bow is easier to torque. Just think about it in the opposite extreme, suppose your grip was way out in front of the limbs, that bow would be extremely easy to hold steady, but would be slow as christmas.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:33 AM

Actually, a shorter brace bow is no more prone to torque than a higher brace bow. The short brace however will magnify any torque or form problems to a greater degree than a longer brace. This is because of the decreased distance between the release point of the arrow and the rest (fulcrum point). The closer the arrows release point from the string gets to the fulcrum, the more form inconsistencies (torque) are shown down range.

Here is an exaggerated example: If I am shooting a 20 inch arrow with a 10 inch brace. When the arrow leaves the string the nock is 10 inches from the rest. If my form has torqued the bow so the nock is now 1 inch to the right, the point of the arrow has also moved one inch, but to the left. Now if I shoot the same arrow out of a 1 inch brace and the nock at the point of release has move one inch to the right – the point of the arrow is now almost facing 90 deg to the left and has moved over 18 inches. The point of impact down range will be much further off.

A greater reflex riser will however inherently be more prone to torque IMO.

So to answer the question (or at least try). Yes I do believe that a drop-away will to some degree lessen the ill effect of a lower brace. To what degree I do not know.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact that the rest is droping may have some positive effects , mostly for fletching clearance , but a short brace height bow is a short brace height bow . It has to do more with how long the arrow is on the string I believe .
Old 06-11-2003, 12:38 PM

It has to do more with how long the arrow is on the string I believe .
This is not true. If that were the case than anyone with a long draw or shooting heavy slow arrows would be at a great disadvantage.

Adding 100 grn to an arrow keeps it on the string a good 8 times longer than adding 1 inch of brace.

it all has to do with the relationship of the power stroke to the fulcrum of the grip, limb bolts, IMO
Old 06-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack thats exactly why most of the top tagret guys have 28" or less draw lengths . Not try' n to be a smart a$$ , just the facts . And I dont see how arrow weight effects the power stroke of a bow .
Old 06-12-2003, 06:59 AM

Rack thats exactly why most of the top tagret guys have 28" or less draw lengths
I am not saying that the amount of time an arrow stays on the string has no effect on accuracy, it is just not the only or main effect of brace height. As far as most top archers I am not sure, it could be because 28" is about the correct draw for the average male height? Most non pros are to long on there draw.

It has to do more with how long the arrow is on the string I believe
And I dont see how arrow weight effects the power stroke of a bow
A heavy arrow does not effect the power stroke, it does however stay on the string much longer than a lighter one. So if the amount of time an arrow stayed on the string was the most critical factor in forgiveness I would believe the top archers would shoot the lightest fasted rigs they can handle. I do not believe the top spot shooters do so.

I do not want to come across as stating these other factors you mentioned are not important. I do believe there are many many factors that effect the forgiveness of a bow. But as far as brace I believe the most important factor is the distance from the release point of the arrow from the string to the rest.

Than again I may be 100% wrong[:-]
Old 06-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack I agree with you . I think the origanal poster thinks that by going with a fallaway rest that he will lessen the effect of a short brace height bow , and I dont think it will make much diferance except for the fact that it will be more forgiveing in the ' fletching contact issue' . I would not want to stear a guy that is farly new to the sport towards a low brace height bow with him thinking that by useing a fallaway rest it will preform like a taller brace height bow because I think he will be better off with a bow that has at least 7" or more of brace height . I think some pepole get the impresion that by useing a fall away rest their bow will be easyer to set up and tune but in some cases I think just the oppisite is true . They can be difficult to get just right , droping at the proper time , exc. when setup properly though they do work well .
Old 07-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]