Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

400+ fps!!!!!

Old 06-14-2003, 02:37 PM

Default RE: 400+ fps!!!!!

I think the muzzleloader situation is a good example.They have gotten to the point with inlines and 209 primers that the effective ranges are now 200-250 yards.Rivaling some centerfire rifle calibers(30-30 for example).This lead to increased restrictions in Colorado as the elk rut in many areas is during the late archery early muzzleloader season.Rifle hunters raised a lot of hell with the dnr that " primitive" hunters got acess to big bulls during the rut.I don' t think you can compare the advancement in bow and rifle technologies.Rifle hunters don' t have special seasons to lose due to the " perception" of the weapon as being primitive.You can' t really compare a scoped inline t/c encore to a iorn sighted side lock.The same could happen to us.Many traditional archers believe they should have a true primitive archery season and compound shooters should not be included.Many rifle only hunters don' t like the fact that bowhunters get the first crack at rack or trophy bucks.If enough people raise hell,the squeaky wheel will get the grease as they say.The reality of the situation may be that a compond at 400 fps is still a primitive weapon compared to a high powered rifle.But if the perception becomes that it is' nt a primitive weapon anymore we could lose special archery seasons.Bow manufacturers push the technology envelope to sell bows.But people have a hard enough time justifying $700 for a bow now,not to mention if you lose your early archery season.I just think we need to be careful how our sport is viewed from the outside.Sometimes peoples perception become the reality.

CB
Old 06-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a cut and paste of a post I made back in April on the Bowsite when Kevin Strother asked for suggestions on future models. I think Kevin (PW12) and I share a similar opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
It might be benificial to look into a direction similar to what High Country is doing, (or trying to do) by making the bows more durable and able to safely withstand lighter arrows. Beef up the limb tip, 1/4" titanium axles, etc. The IBO standard of 5gr/lb is arbitrary and most who have done a lot of shooting know that less than that is very safe.

I know of a certain BK2 (a " friends" ) that hasn' t been shot over 4 gr/lb in about 5000 shots that shows no signs of problems.

Within a practical range, draw length, poundage and brace height are unchangeable variables. Draw force curves are approaching the upper limit of performace. The only variable left to change in order to get more performance is the weight of the projectile. But, you need a bow that can safely withstand it.

A lot of people don' t give a hoot about speed. A lot of people do. For those that do, safely shooting lighter arrows is fast becoming the only option.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM

I' m all for the technology to increase speeds and K. E. for hunting but as serious a game of 3D competition has become, there is a need for a speed barrier. 3D is still about judging the distance to the target and taking your best shot. If the shoot is won by the guy with the fastest bow, a 90 pound 455 fps screamer, the field is narrowed down to the strongest shooters. I' ll continue to use the most draw weight and speed I can handle accurately for hunting because I don' t just want to " kill them a little" . I want to hit them as hard as I can and if the arrow passes through the boiller room and burries it' s self into the ground to the nock, GREAT! However if I get a hit in the shoulder and the arrow passes through BOTH shoulders and burries it' s self only half way to the fletching, EVEN GREATER!!!
IMO 3D and target shooting dosen' t need higher speeds than what we have for competition sake but give me all I can handle for hunting