Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Setting up to do my own technical work, any help??

Old 06-03-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Setting up to do my own technical work, any help??

Hey guys,

I have decided that I am goin to start getting things so I can do all of my bow work at my house. I want to be able to do it all, from building arrows, to replacing strings, ect...

Now, I have several questions. What all will I need. I am not going to be purchasing all of these things at one time, so I can' t just make one big order. I am going to get these over time. Here is what I have in mind.

Cabela' s Carbon Arrow Prep Tool-$9.99

Jo Jan Multi-Fletch Right Helical-$84.99

Cabelas Fletch Stripper-$13.50

A-1 Arrow Saw-$114.99

A-1 Carbon Blade-$3.99

A-1 Deburring Tool-$24.99

Cabelas Spin Tester-$29.99

Apple E-Model Bow Press-$159.99

Apple 360 degree Adjustable Bow Vise-$49.99

ProChrono Digital Chronograph-$104.99

ProChrono Digital Chonograph indoor lighting unit-$39.99

Easy Eye Laser Eze-Center Gauge-$69.99

Total- $707.39

That isn' t final or anything, that is just what caught my eye while I was browseing Cabelas archery catalog. It is alot of money, but, like I said, this is something that I plan on assembling over the next year or so. I have digital scales for my reloading station, so, I don' t need any scale for arrow weights.

Like I said, I would like to be able to do all of my work on my bow, but, I don' t need to have an archery shop set-up in my house. I want to be able to tune and micro-tune my bow. I would like to be able to make my own arrows, replace my own strings, tune my own arrows, ect...

Like I said, I am entirely new at this, and this is something that I would like to take seriously.

Any info about these products? Any other products that are better? Any places to get these cheaper?

And, most importantly, does anybody have any good resources to learn about this stuff? Web-sites? Books? Magazines?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Setting up to do my own technical work, any help??

BM,

The best place to learn about this type of info/procedures is at one of your reputable, local shops. I am sure you must have a decent relationship at least started with one or two of the shop owners considering how much you have embraced the sport. Start there. Ask questions and pay close attention to whatever work the dealer or one of his employees are doing at any given time. I had a young gentleman pop in the shop quite frequently over the last week or so. He was a big kayak nut but decided to get back into archery. He is more than capable of doing most of the basic setup work on his bow...accessory installation, basic tuning, etc... but wants to get more into it. He just started fletching his own arrows last night after watching me for a few days....and he loves it.

As for other accessories.....I think you have a pretty good start though my first suggestion would probably be to buy the fletching equipment first. Start small and work bigger. When you do get the bow press I strongly suggest that you have someone at one of the local shops show you how to properly use it with the various style bows on the market. Tec risers, parallel limbs, etc... all require a little extra care when putting them in a bow press for adjustment.

Lastly, you may want to check with some of the those local dealers in regard to that equipment. I know most of the local shops here keep fletchers and the various arrow building supplies in stock for consumer purchase. I also believe that Eders has some of the equipment you desire. I only know the latter because I bought my arrowsaw off of them several years ago.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

My advice is also to start small. You will have to develope some skills since you stated that you are new to this. Trying to tackle everything at once may be very tough. I would start with the arrow making level and then progress. Hopefully your pro shop owner is experienced (has some patience) and can help you. But trying to get them to help you with everything at once is a very tough thing to ask. You can get an aweful lot of info here on the board, so ask a lot of questions here also.

For example, I could tell you from expereince that you may not need the fletch stripper for making arrows. I have found other methods that work a lot better. I use a curved razor blade that I got from the hoppy shop that will do circles around a fletch stripper. I also bought the fletch stripper when I started out but didn' t like it at all.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:02 AM

Thanks guys,

I was planning on getting the fletching jig first. The bow press will probablly be the las thing I get.

I am FINALLY ordering the new strings for my bow on Friday and then when I get them in, I will be heading over to my tech guy' s house (remember, the owner of the pro-shop packed up and left everything, but John said he would still do all my work at his house). When I am there with him, I am gonna start asking him all kinds of questions. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and I guarentee that he will be more than willing to help me out. He is very reputable, he went to PSE' s archery school, and has been setting up archery equipment for over around 20 years. He has set-up a good bit of the target bows for the people in my area.

Thanks again guys. Like I said, this is going to be a process, and definetly not something I am going to jump into all at once.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve got a lot of the things on your list.
The one item that cought my eye on you list was the apple archery e-press.
That' s the one I have and If I could do it over again I' d go with something closer to the Pro hurcules press. The rope on the e-press worrries me. The knot that came tied in it from the factory slipped on me once (the nylon cords insides broke free), causing my reflex to go skyward, loose it' s sights in the process and bonk me in the head to boot. It was scary to say the least.
Now the rope looks thinner in some spots when I press my bow and I' m starting to get worried again.
Also, the 31.5" ata mighty mite we own is about the smallest ata bow it will accept due to the angle of it' s arms to the rollers.

The chronograph will just drive you crazy if you let it (I have). I would go for the small unit bass pro sells that bolts into your stabilizer hole. No chance on whacking that one!!
You can skip the light kit unless your stricly indoors. The owners manual says it prefers cloudy days when outside.
The lower prices on built arrows that can be found on the net have rendered my cut-saw the biggest dust collector I have.
Good luck with it.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:29 AM

Some archery shops will let you work for supplies not money. Ask them it they need an extra hand in the evenings, or whenever you are available. Tell them you will work for the learning expereience or some supplies. They should give you that opportunity since you are working for no money. After you learned what you need to know move on.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

BM, I can save you money on a bow press. You can make a duplicate of mine for around 50 bucks, and it is hoyt riser friendly. Just incase you ever get one.

I have no experience with a laser centershot, and most likely never will. Can`t see how to justify the expense.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:12 PM

Hey BC,

Thanks, will your bow press fit a 31 1/2" axle to axle bow? Also, do you know of any places around here to get some of this stuff at? I am gonna talk to my pro-shop guy when I go to his house to get all set-up, but I am looking for any other places that you may know about that he doesnt. Thanks man.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, my press will easily fit a bow that size. And I know where you can get all that stuff.

I honestly don`t think you need some of the stuff you mentioned, but I know where you can get it.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:58 PM

Hey BC,

That is awsome news. If you want, you can shoot me an e-mail. I have to get to bed, but if you can' t, I will shoot you one tommorow. Thanks for all the help.

P.S. Are you and BTB gonna give me an all expense paid trip to Pikes County this year hahaha

Quick Reply: Setting up to do my own technical work, any help??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.