Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Setting up to do my own technical work, any help??

Old 06-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Setting up to do my own technical work, any help??

I might give ya gas money to Pike Co., PA!
Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 AM

Buck Magnet My brother in law owns a shop and I might be able to get you better pricing than cabelas. You can email me if you are interested. Its [email protected].
Old 06-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, I also have the e-press with the stand. It works great for me. Don' t you use the safety strap with the unit? I wouldn' t even think about not having the safety strap around the bow when winching. I can' t see how that could have happened. My press of course is only used for myself and a few friends, so it has nowhere near the use that a proshop press has, but for what I am using it for, I' d say it is it pretty outstanding.

About the centershop laser. A guy I know who owns a proshop has one and is always asking me to centershot my bow for me. I tell him NO WAY!!! A centershot is a good starting point for tuning a bow, but that is all it is. Most bows will not achieve a maximum tume from the exact centershot of the bow. IMO, the are almost useless.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:37 AM

The bow press will probablly be the las thing I get
I use my bow press very frequently. It would be the first or second thing I' d buy. You can' t even change a string without one.

You should be able to easily live without the bow saw, and chronos are rather worthless unless you just like to compare miniscule speed changes. And, $13.50 for an arrow stripper? My pocket knife works just fine. It' s all in the angle you hold it at while scraping.

Just a suggestion...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:50 AM

You don' t need all of that stuff unless you just want to spend the money.Buy a jojan single fletch and a couple of extra clamps.Unless you are fletching mass quanties of arrows a single is fine.Besides it' s better to screw up one arrow at a time instaed of 6.If you' re using a fast setting cement it goes quick.Ditch the arrow saw you can order your shafts pre cut or most shops will cut them cheap.Definetely buy a press now.That is the one thing you need to change modules, intall peeps maybe put a few twists in a cable or something.Not having a bow press is the only thing that sends me to the pro shop.A dull knife works for stripping fletches.I can eyeball centershot good enough for a starting point to tune.

CB
Old 06-05-2003, 08:23 AM
CG

The jig, the press and the chrono....that' s about all you' ll need from cabela' s. An arrow saw would be handy sometimes but I only order about 3 dozen shafts a year and I can drive the 1 1/2 hrs to a pro-shop to get them cut....Plus I see that there is a Hi-Speed miter saw in one of the industrial catalogs that is only $35.....You would have to hand measure each arrow but if you' re not doing a bunch it would work.....

Dave,
Replace the cord that came with the press and replace it with rubber coated cable!!! Works great and a lot safer....
Old 06-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

CG, that' s a great idea. What diameter should I go with?

Bobco, My press doesn' t have a " safety strap" . I bought it about ~3 years ago, maybe my e-mail prompted the inclusion of such a strap.
I assure you it DID happen, I wouldn' t just make such an occurance up as it wouldn' t benefit me whatsoever to do so. The knot tied to the hook that goes to the center of the bar is the one that lost it' s middle. It pitched the middle right out of the outside casing.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry Dave, didn' t mean to sound like I didn' t believe you. I wonder if yours was missing the safety belt. You may want to inquire.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:36 AM
CG

Dave I can' t remember which I bought....I think it was rated at 350# (?).....I' m guessing 3/8" diameter......Again I don' t remember for sure but you can get the bracket that makes the loop for cabling and it holds very securely......
Old 06-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally , I think building your own arrows is very fun and satisfying! And you can save money by purchasing un-cut shafts. I would reccomend spending the $150 for a good saw , it will work alot better on carbon arrows.