Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow weight, kinetic energy and penetration

Old 06-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow weight, kinetic energy and penetration

I' m shooting 29.375 in. blackhawk carbons out of a 60 lb. hoyt magnatec. If I do the math right, the arrows, including a 100 muzzy weigh 379 grains. I' m not sure about the weight of the inserts, vanes, or nock. But I' m sure those three don' t add up to much. What I' m asking is 379 gr. a good weight for deer hunting or is it a little on the light side. I' m not too worried about speed, I just don' t want to arrow a buck and not have enough KE or penetration to down him. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow weight, kinetic energy and penetration

First off.........those components weigh more than you think. A Vapor insert, nock, and say (3) 4" vanes will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 45grs. So if you are not taking that weight into consideration at all in your calculations of arrow weight you might be shooting an arrow that weighs about 425grs total.

Check www.bowjackson.com and plug all of your info into the " FOC and Weight" calculator for Blackhawk and see what you get.

As far as your 60lb Magnatec and a 379gr arrow....or even a 425gr arrow? You' ll be fine for deer. Keep everything tuned nicely and with good tuned arow flight and a sharp Muzzy worry more about making some room in the freezer.

But do go over to Bowjackson and work your numbers.........knowledge is power.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:43 PM

Don' t worry about it ! They do just fine . I killed 5 deer last year with 350 grain arrows @ 308 fps. Most were pass throughs with 12-15" of arrow buried into the ground. And that was with large expandables (1.5" - 2" cut 3 blades).
Old 06-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to bowjackson and input some things. Well come to find out with my setup my FOC is only 7.6%. That pretty low. But with a 125 gr. broadhead it jumps to 9.5%. Could I get by with a 100 gr. I' ve been shooting them the last couple days and they fly great with field tips. THanks for the help guys
Old 06-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could improve your FOC greatly by using 4" feathers. It' ll make the arrow lighter and give you a couple fps. As for number crunching? You got plenty of energy for anything on this continent, let alone a little deer. I' ve had complete pass-thru' s with 316gr arrows at 237fps out of a 61# bow. In one case it was a 15 yard broadside shot and stuck 20" of arrow in the ground after the pass-thru. Another was about a 45 degree quartering away shot. Arrow shot thru to the opposite shoulder breaking the shoulder joint, flattening the TroCar tip and bending the ferrule. Deer just aren' t big critters my boy.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to switch to feathers but I don' t want to hassle with it right now. Is there any way other than switchin heads to gain some FOC or is it ok with what I have.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:05 PM

titleist The inserts weigh on average 11 grains , The knocks on average weigh 12 grains, Three 4 inch vanes weigh on average 24 grains. So your arrows are about 47 grains heavier than you think.

I have a hoyt Serria tec cam .5, It is set at 58 lbs with a 29 inch draw length. I shoot a 377 grain arrow at 263 feet per second which gives 58 ft lbs of kenitic energy. If I use a heavier arrow the speed goes down but the KE goes up. So I hunt with an arrow the weights about 430 grains and it does just fine.

And so will yours