Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie needs help buying new bow and accessories..

Old 01-25-2002, 06:12 AM

Default Newbie needs help buying new bow and accessories..

I've been out of bowhunting for MANY years, and now I'm getting back into it. I won't even tell you how sorry my old bow is, but I'm going to replace it with a new one. Please, given your collaborative and stunning knowledge and mastery of the sport, tell me what you would recommend for a COMPLETE setup (bow, rest, any and all other neccessary components and accessories). I have some nice gamegetter II 2216 arrows leftover from my last bow, but if there's some type of arrow that is stunningly superior, I'll consider new arrows as well. TOTAL budget is $200-400. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Chris
Old 01-25-2002, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Newbie needs help buying new bow and accessories..

Welcome to the forum Archdio6. There are plenty of good bows in that price range. Before you take everybody elses advice check out a few bows you think you might like. Hehe.....Im gonna give you a long list of websites. Check them out and then tell us what you think you might like.

www.hoytusa.com
www.mathewsinc.com
www.benpearson.com
www.browning.com
www.highcountryarchery.com
www.beargoldeneagle.com
www.parkerbows.com
www.dartonarchery.com
www.bowtecharchery.com
www.championbow.com
www.reflexbow.com
www.diamondarchery.com
www.martinarchery.com
Old 01-25-2002, 09:19 AM

Chris!
There is a PSE Nova package deal with sight, rest, quiver, and stabalize for about $200. But if you want to do it yourself...
I set up a PSE Nova for myself for under $300. The bow (by itself) is about $189. If you have a pro-shop nearby, a simple $16 TM hunter rest will work. It's just harder to set up...(works as good as the $60 prong rest, once you have it set up correctly) I put a $40 PSE sight on it....just cuz it was like my other sight that I like...a T.R.U. GLO EYE sight might be good for you. (about $40ish) Put a Kwicky quiver on ($20) a $3 Peep...That's *about* $300 for a GREAT bow. That leaves you with $100 for a release(Personal...as low as $14 or as high as in the $200's!) T.R.U. Ball makes some EXCELENT releases for beginers and pro's alike. And some arrows. Depending on what poundage and draw length....2216's might be the ticket. GG's are fine. I shoot XX75's or 78's.....no biggie.

GOOD LUCK and keep us informed!!!!
John
Old 01-25-2002, 09:21 AM

This might help...sorry.

www.pse-archery.com

John
Old 01-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum buddy! Well, if it were me, I would go to a couple of proshops close to you and see what they have. Try out a few that are in your price and range till you find one you like. Its a lot nicer to have a bow from a trusted bowshop near you that way if you have questions or problems, you can always go there for help.

I shoot a Reflex. They are made by Hoyt and are a really good product in my opinion. You may also want to look at carbon arrows such as gold tips. I just started shooting them and love them over my aluminums.

But again, I will stress personal preference. Check out a bunch of new bows and other equipment and make the decision on your own preference. I am by no means an expert like some on here, so others could probably help steer you in the right direction as well.

Good luck!!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:25 AM

I would suggest that you look at what your local dealers around you sell and stick with one of those brands if you find one you like.They will be the ones to do warranty work if something happens and when it is the night before your big hunt during the rut and you notice your bow need s new part, it is handy to have a dealer that would be willing to do a little extra for you. I live over 70 miles from my nearest dealer and it sucks. You save a little money when you buy online but you lose the advice, help and experience of a pro shop.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:53 AM

Try a Champion Bow. I did a lot of shoping before I bought mine. Great price with a lifetime guarantee. I don't know about you, but I hope mine will last me until I am to old to draw it. I can't afford a new model each year.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:31 PM

champion storm is the way to go. nice bow for the money. the mathews FX & reflex bows would do good too. I think for the money & what you get champion is going to be hard to beat
Old 01-26-2002, 06:06 PM

I have to agree with moonge champion bows really seem like good bows, but like 3d4pse said. Its best to buy something that your local pro shop sells. They will always help you with anything you need and they will know what you need. Dont be afraid of getting ripped off. I believe that in most bows you get what you pay for. You might even want to save up some more money and really get a top end set up. It will pay off in the long run. Trust me buying bows is addictive.