Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight Help

Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Spike

Default Sight Help

I sighted in a pin at 20 yards to start with but when I sighted in 30 yards the pin is all the way down at the bottom of the sight so is there a way I can make the 30 yard pin up farther so i can sight in a 40 yard pin? The sight is adjusted all the down towards the arrow rest.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that can cause this is a high anchor point. I'd suggest lowering your anchor which means you'll have to raise the peep sight and kisser button if you use one. This will allow you to raise the whole sight and start over with the sighting process.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Spike

That's a good point. I have a question, I have tried a lot of different sights and thought I would move to a red dot sight. I intially set up one sight an EO Tech with an adustable bracket on my Matthews 2008 switch back bow, no peep. It took some serious wrenching to get it set to where I could consistently shoot 20 to 40 yards and then I would run out of adjustment for more distance to fifty yards. So I switched to a Zeiss Z-point and I can't even get close to sighting it in in spite of mulitiple creative changes with the mounting bracket. I thought I would sight it in at 35 yds and then use kentucky windage for different distances since I normally do ok with that. I mainly use the bow for hunting and target practice no competition or serious 3d. I am now thinking I'll sell the Zeiss and was looking at the review on the Hot Dot sight, sounds like it would be easier to set up than the Zeiss. Any thoughts etc. be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Typical Buck

I had the original Hot-Dot, loved it but it was terrible on batteries. Bought the Hot-Dot plus and with the AA I think batteries it is fantastic. Easy to set up in the standard mode, advanced modes get a little complicated. I have mine set up pendulum good out to 35 yds. And three pins set 25-35-45.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldshooter
That's a good point. I have a question, I have tried a lot of different sights and thought I would move to a red dot sight. I intially set up one sight an EO Tech with an adustable bracket on my Matthews 2008 switch back bow, no peep. It took some serious wrenching to get it set to where I could consistently shoot 20 to 40 yards and then I would run out of adjustment for more distance to fifty yards. So I switched to a Zeiss Z-point and I can't even get close to sighting it in in spite of mulitiple creative changes with the mounting bracket. I thought I would sight it in at 35 yds and then use kentucky windage for different distances since I normally do ok with that. I mainly use the bow for hunting and target practice no competition or serious 3d. I am now thinking I'll sell the Zeiss and was looking at the review on the Hot Dot sight, sounds like it would be easier to set up than the Zeiss. Any thoughts etc. be appreciated.
I can't comment on the two latter sights you mention, but not being able to get enough yardage you were probably in the same boat. Too high of an anchor. However I would say, and just a suggestion, that if you could get 40 yards out of it then you most likely don't need any more/

That being said, I am familar with the EOtech sight and HHA mount as I was a rep for them back in 2003. They gave me one and I tried it out. It's OK, but as you know, it's real tricky to set up just right. Frankly it's easier with two people. You holding at full draw and another person getting the angles set for your shooting style.

I tried it and it wasn't for me. Just too much going on and I also thought of the extra movement I'd be making to dim the reticle as light starts fading. I did know a lot of people back then that used one and liked it.

Since then I'm pretty sure EOtech has stopped manufacture of the archery model. I think they still make the pistol version marketed by Bushnell. This could work, but needs a peep sight to line up the back end.

Not knowing the Zeiss or Hot Dot I would imagine setting them up is similar, but can't say for sure. I remember reading some reviews about the HOt Dot and they were mixed. Main complaint was that the early version wasn't waterproof. I don't know if that's been resolved or not.