Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow question

Old 06-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow question

If my draw length is 28" ....how long should my arrows be?
Old 06-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrow question

the bow is set at 65 lbs and im shooting 100 gr 3 blade muzzy' s on 5575 goldtip carbons by the way....thanks.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:00 PM

That depends on a number of things such as

1. do you want your broadheads sticking out in front of the riser?
2. do you use an overdraw or rest mounted to allow shorter arrows?

Thats the first step to finding the correct choice. I would consult a local pro shop to get their help in choosing the proper length & the correct arrow.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:06 AM

Also remember just because the bow states a 28" draw doesn' t mean it is a 28" draw. Measure it, then decide where you want the tip to stop on full draw.

As Orions said there are other factors also.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 AM

1. Using a rubber " O-ring" that fits snug on the shaft, slide the ring onto your shaft to the approximate location of the draw-length you presently believe you have.

2. Using your bow, the bow you will be tailoring the shafts to, mount the shaft, and in the best textbook shooting form you can acquire, draw the shaft, and eye where the " O-ring" is in relation to the front of your riser or overdraw rest.

3. Move the " O-ring" until you like what you see.

4. When you believe you have found the length, draw your bow several times until you are completely satisfied with the length you observe.

5. Measure the length form the throat of your nock to the string side of the " O-ring." Note: I personally cut my full length shafts so that there is a ¾" extension in front of my riser on full draw.

Using the rubber " O-ring" method allows you to make repeated adjustments without marking the shaft with a felt-tip, and then trying to determine and see the correct mark out of several marks. Being able to observe the " O-ring" also allows you to have a visual and true perspective of length.

Additionally, The " O-ring" method also enables you to determine your draw-length when you do not have someone to assist. Regardless of available assistance, I still prefer to determine where I want to cut my shafts by using the above method. The person standing to the side and trying to place a mark on the shaft by your verbal instructions...before your anchor creeps, hardly ever puts the mark exactly where you want it.