Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Target Panic...need help!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
htm
Spike

Default Target Panic...need help!

I have been reading a lot of seemingly good cures on how to lick this age-old problem. i have had it for almost 30 yrs. and it's time to break its neck. The two most common techniques appear to be letting the arrow down and blind bale shooting. i shoot a compound with fingers. is there anything i should do differently before i start trying these things because i do shoot fingers? Thanks in advance. ..
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of bow do you shoot, and is there a reason you choose to shoot fingers??? I've found when I start having issues, one thing that really helps me is dropping the weight down 5# or so, and shooting SHORT distances, 10-15yds, and focusing very closely on my mechanics, my draw, my hold, my release, and holding the bow up so that I can almost see the arrow hitting the target through the peep. I think yearly or a couple times a year, I have a little bit of an issue.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
htm
Spike

Thanks for the quick response, OHbowhntr, i guess i left out some details. i shoot a Darton Yukon XT, 55 lbs, front sights, fingers, and a kisser. This is the way i have always shot, didn't like a release. i used to be able to shoot very, very well like this before the panic and used to have so much fun with it; hours and hours out on the range. Now, its terrible so i have to do something about it. i am tired of missing deer shots. i can probably make a decent 10-15 yd. shot. i am not totally a basket case this far in. i think i will back off the weight a little bit and have already started letting the arrow down (not shoot) for a couple of days now. this is what i have done in the past but i think i rushed it, didn't let it take hold and tried to move back to 30 yds. too quickly which is where i used to group them in there good when i was in my 20's. Thanks, again!!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by htm
Thanks for the quick response, OHbowhntr, i guess i left out some details. i shoot a Darton Yukon XT, 55 lbs, front sights, fingers, and a kisser. This is the way i have always shot, didn't like a release. i used to be able to shoot very, very well like this before the panic and used to have so much fun with it; hours and hours out on the range. Now, its terrible so i have to do something about it. i am tired of missing deer shots. i can probably make a decent 10-15 yd. shot. i am not totally a basket case this far in. i think i will back off the weight a little bit and have already started letting the arrow down (not shoot) for a couple of days now. this is what i have done in the past but i think i rushed it, didn't let it take hold and tried to move back to 30 yds. too quickly which is where i used to group them in there good when i was in my 20's. Thanks, again!!
Also could be your EYES......I know I quit shooting instinctive when I found I just couldn't see well enough. Then I moved up to using a release, and couldn't believe what an improvement that made. I'd like to "think" that I've progressed with archery.... Once I got my first Parallel limb bow, a little over 2 yrs ago, I really found how much technology had changed archery, and much for the better. I think that you certainly CAN shoot and shoot well with fingers as I could, but I found that I could shoot BETTER with a release. Also it makes various rests, such as a drop-away, with makes the use of technology even more advantageous.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Consentrate on the follow though. Put your thoughts on your hand holding your bow, and see if it doesn't help. I've been shooting well over 40 years and when this happens to me, I consentrate on my follow though and allowing the bow to fall forward.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

yeah you might be so happy to see where the shot went your droping your bow befor the arrow leaves i would say shoot every day to buld the mucles so that it is no effort at all when shooting for long periods of time and wait to move your sight do 20 one day 30 the next because when you shoot your going to get shakey after a while and just watch the arrow hit through your sight that should help and when i shot fingers instead of a kisser i put my index finger in the corner of my mouth and that allowed me to ancor at the same spot everytime
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too suffer/suffered from target panic. I tried blank bale shooting, reading books, changing releases, and shooting with back tension. None of these helped me. They were only bandaids that stopped working once your brain got used to that way or shooting too. I even stopped shooting for long periods to see if that would help, and then I finally gave up archery shooting all together for several years. The internet became more popular and I started to do some research on the problem (Target Panic). I found some posts on the tradgang forum written by Jay Kidwell. I emailed Jay and he responded with some basic drills and I could see improvements in a day or two. I kept up with the drills for a couple of weeks and have felt much better about shooting. Now it is four years later and I enjoy shooting again. Good luck, target panic can be controlled you just need to take the right steps and be patient. You can check out his book here http://www.n-sights.net/iai/target_panic.html it is well worth the $14 if you have target panic.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
htm
Spike

LKNCHOPPERS,

Thanks for info...i think i will get the book. I noticed one thing that is starting to work for me is to concentrate on my target and not the pins. I am using this with letting the arrow down. Thanks, again!

htm
Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jay's book will help. You have to disassociate having the pin on the target and firing. I have referred many people to the book and his drills. You will have good results and get your TP under control. Good Luck
Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Son

if you've had target panic for thirty years, you probably can easily duplicate it for another thirty years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.