Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

my bowstring keeps hitting my arm??

Old 05-31-2003, 05:16 PM

Default my bowstring keeps hitting my arm??

When I release on my shot, my bowstring keeps hitting my forearm. I use a armguard but why does it do this? Is it because the draw length is too long or what??
Old 05-31-2003, 06:11 PM

Default RE: my bowstring keeps hitting my arm??

micdundee, try to rotate your elbow outward a little.(clockwise if you' re right handed). This will move your forearm out of the way a little bit and also lock
your arm for better consistancy. Don' t know if it' s the " textbook" way of
solving your problem, but it' s been working for me for many years. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2003, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

What' s the brace height of your bow, and yes- your draw could be too long. If you can' t rotate your elbow out as deerdragr suggested, they yes your draw is probably a little long.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:52 AM

This is a sign of bad form. If you have good form, this will not happe, no matter what the brace height is. I would either talk to some local " pro" archers in your area or go to a pro-shop and ask them to help you and see what is wrong with your form. If you don' e want to do that, have someone take a few pictures of you from different angles at full draw and post them on here and these guys could help you out, but the first method I suggested would be better.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:48 AM

Deleted....wrong thread! [:@]
Old 06-02-2003, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds more like the draw is too long to me. Can you adjust it shorther or put on a different draw module? I usually notice that I also get more hits left (right handed shooter) in addition to hitting my forearm when my draw lwngth is too long.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:00 AM

i would reccomend turning your wrist and elbow out slightly. It promotes better accuracy and it is easier to hold the bow steady. Just make shure not to turn it out too mutch, and to keep your thumb as straight as possible pointed towards the target when you grip your bow.

good luck
Buckkilla
Old 06-16-2003, 01:20 PM

Have you tried opening up your stance? If you are a right hander, move your right foot about six inches forward. This should increase the triangle (both shoulder points and the bow hand) distance. Opening your stance will allow greater string clearance to your bow arm. Hopefully this is your problem. See if this helps.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

I will agree with drawlength being long if you' ve shot before and not had this problem. If you' ve always had this problem, then it could be any number of issues that you need to address. Best to go to a reputable shop and speak with a qualified tech/instructor who can measure you correctly and/or evaluate you. Good techs/instructors can quite easily pick out problems just by watching you. Good luck! Pinwheel 12
Old 06-25-2003, 08:22 PM

Do you use a wrist sling? If so, do you use an open hand grip? The reason I ask is that I' ve recently been monkeying around with my form & started whack' n the heck out of my arm.
I found that when I use an open hand, the bow springs forward & slaps me good. I' ve recently installed a " No Peep" & set it so I actually can see when I have a slight grip on the bow. Ain' t been hit since.
This also helps when I shoot my practice bow, which has no sling. This way I don' t forget which one I' m shooting & wind up launching my bow at the target.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: my bowstring keeps hitting my arm??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.