Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Should I change from a 3 to 4 fletching??

Old 05-28-2003, 01:27 PM

Default RE: Should I change from a 3 to 4 fletching??

445, In the March 2003 issue of Peterson' s Bowhunting Magazine there is a great article called MAXIMUM FLIGHT (How Fletching Styles Influence Arrow Performance). The article talks about vanes or feathers,straight versus helical,clearing the arrow rest, the test, the results and finally the Broadheads.There is alot of good info to list but he does mention what you are experiencing. He says that at 20 yards the broadheads flew the same as the field points. At 40 yds. the shooting machine still shot the arrows to the center, shot after shot, with great consistency.When he shot the arrows , at 40 yards the point of impact changed, he goes in detail and talks about the fletching 3" , 4" ,5" feathers and vanes. Hope you can get the magazine.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:42 PM

445 Supermag,

If your strictly into deer hunting I would forget about the Steelforce alltogether. With your numbers you are putting out about 80 lbs of KE which is plenty for just about any mechanical head on the market. If you really want to shoot fixed blades I would go with a smaller profile 3 blade like a Wasp Hammer SST or Muzzy which would probably fly a little better than the Steelforce(at that speed). If you have your heart set on Steelforce I would increase your arrow weight.

I also ran your arrow through the FOC calculator and you are at roughly 10%. I myself shoot at about 13.5% for my 125 grain broadhead. If you used a 125 gr broadhead it would bring it up to around 12% FOC and also slow your speed a little. But if you are under spined already this could make it worse.

If you goto the easton website they have a EXCELLENT tuning guide there.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/tech_room/

Good Luck. Let us know how u make out...
Old 05-29-2003, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I want to thank you all again for your help. I hope to put some of your input into action, if and when I start to shoot again.

Well take care and thanks for all your help.

Brian
Old 05-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As some of the others have sugested I would try a heaver arrow . You will allso get the added benifit of quieting down that darton a bit , they do make some noise and at 70 lbs with a 400 grain arrow I' d be willing to bet your bow has quiet a pop to it .
Old 05-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ijimmy, actually my Darton isn' t real loud at all. Pretty quiet with the simms attachments.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will try some and if it doesn' t work then I will try another head.

Brian