Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

serving seperation

Old 05-24-2003, 08:35 PM

Default serving seperation

Getting ready to send back a buss cable from a well known string maker cause the serving is seperating and was wondering if anyone usues any type of that serving glue stuff Ive seen advertized thats suppose to keep the serving from seperating?? Does it work and is there any particular brand you would recommend if it does work?
I dont have any nicks abraisions ect with the cam on my bow that I can see so I guess I just ran into it seperating somehow...
Old 05-24-2003, 09:16 PM

Default RE: serving seperation

It has happen to all the strings I have tried until I switched to Winners Choice. I have shot the same string for 2 years with no seperation. Now all 4 of my bows sport the WC strings.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:24 PM

Ah Yes- But this is a Winners Choice String/Cable Im sending back, I hate to say...
especially with all the hoopla about no serving seperation I had hoped nothing like this would happen.. Ive probably got around 500/600 shots on This new set.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:21 AM

I can gurantee the W.C. boys will take care of you and rectify the problem. From what Ive seen with others their warrenty and customer satisfaction is second to none.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:59 AM

It' s nice to say " their warranty and customer satisfaction is second to none" , but the hassle to deal with sending this type of product back, from a Dealer' s perspective, proved to me to be very objectionable. [:@]

Case-in-point: I ordered a standard length string from them for a customer' s bow. The string arrived several days later and we proceeded to install it. My technician came to me and stated that the center serving was too short and that the loop was very close to the upper end of the serving. With the thought in mind that WC servings are not supposed to move, and that this customer didn' t use a kisser above the loop, I told the tech to finish the installation.

The customer came in and proceeded to shoot his bow on our range. His POI moved extensively after only 10 shots. Examination revealed that the serving was not only moving but was loose at the termination point.

I called WC and they told me to return the string to them for repair/replacement. They also told me that I should specify the dimensions that I wanted in the center serving. WAIT A MINUTE - this is a stock string replacement. They should know where and how much center serving is required!!!!

I also questioned how they weave the center serving and suggested a more extensive method that I use. They said that they do it with a machine and that can' t be changed. If this is the case, their weave process won' t work. I know this because I examined it carefully when I took it apart to replace it at the customer' s request.

It went like this. I told the customer that I could take it apart and fix it so that this would not happen again. The alternative was to remove the string, put the old string back on the bow, package and return the string to WC, wait for the return, replace the string again, and hope that it wouldn' t happen again. The customer, not wanting to wait and incur further charges, and knowing that I would make it RIGHT, wanted his bow finished quickly and effectively.

The thing that I would have liked to have heard was that WC would overnight me a new string with proper serving length and termination. I know the customer, and myself, would have waited the extra day and I wouldn' t have minded the extra labor/cost. Instead, I would have had to take the bad string off the bow and remove the loop, peep and Leeches, packaged it up and shipped it. I would have had to put the old string back on the bow and waited for the string to arrive at WC, get fixed, and returned. And then, would it have been served any differently????

WC does make good strings; but, this showed me a side of them that, as a Dealer, I didn' t like. I hope this gets back to them in detail because they really did' t seem to want to listen to me on the phone.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:40 PM

my cable has seperated at the point where the cam ends. this is a winners choice string on a patriot bow. i got a new 2003 patriot bow with o2 strings they to crack open where the cam ends. so i started to make my own strings last year out of ultra cam. when i serve the cable i do it very tight and pack the serving turns together every 5 turns i have not had a problem with my strings yet about 20 shots and there set and no serving seperation for a year on my 2002 pat will be making a new string before hunting season for the new bow.i' m by no means a pro string maker but if i can make a string that dose not crack on the cam you would think these companys could to.and my string cost me less than 10 dollars. thanks Iroquois Archer for the string jig plans
Old 05-26-2003, 08:24 AM

I see your point there Len,and the hassle for a shop owner.Your gonna eat some labor time, or charge the customer for something thats neither of yours fault.Instant unhappy customer. What I meant was if theres a problem W.C. will take care of it. It may not be time wise acceptable to us. After all we all want it done now or in the next ten seconds.Len if the loop was that close to the top of the serving wouldnt you expect it to move or at least be less stable, no matter how well served. Sounds like you unfortunately got a bad string and then the tech compounded the problem by installing it anyway and hoping for the best.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:07 PM

Fletchead:

It was my decision to go ahead with the installation, not the tech' s. After all, it was already on the bow and I trusted WC to have done a good strong serving. I was wrong. The way it was handled after my call to WC was with the customer' s blessing. I properly reserved the string and the customer left as a happy customer.

And, to answer your question about serving. If you do a tight elongated weave termination like I do at the top of a serving, a loop will hold well and the serving will not move. I' ve done it many times for those who want minimal serving.

My problem is that I thought WC had done the termination properly. My error.[:' (]

Old 05-26-2003, 07:23 PM

Just to ask again- does the serving protector/glue stuff help to keep the serving from seperating- as stated- no matter what string/cable it might be applied to?? Im sending this buss cable back to WC tomorrow and if adding this accessory to the serving when I get it back Im gonna try and find a bottle of it.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:32 PM

Not really.

Quick Reply: serving seperation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.