Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

serving seperation

Old 05-26-2003, 08:35 PM

Default RE: serving seperation

well then i have a question for len and fletchhead.. whats the best string for the money??? how many shots can you get out of a string??? I have a MQ1 with a zebra string.. I know they should be changed every 1-2 years and I havent had it a year yet but still need to know what to look for..
Old 05-26-2003, 08:49 PM

Josh, Im gonna leave that question up to Len.Hes got more experience with different companies. All I can say is I had nothing but headaches with Zebras, but Ive been extremely pleased with the W.C. Maybe Len can tell us what he thinks is the best bang for your buck. I will say I have been hearing a lot of good things about Stone Mountains. Good quality for the price.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:00 PM

I' m with Josh_E on this one. I have a Mathews FX - 29" draw, and will be needing a new string before the season opens. Should I go back with the Zebra or go with W/C, or something else?
Old 05-26-2003, 09:45 PM

I have my strings made locally by an individual. However, I am curious about a company by the name of " TailorMaid."

I have been told that their strings/cables, and the process they use, is a good as WC but that TM' s products cost less.

Anyone know anything about the company and the quality of TM' s products?

Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stone Mountain make a string just as good if not better than WC.
I have one on my Patriot DC and have roughly 15k shots through it and so far no serving problems no fuzzing of the string.
After the shoot in period I had to put 1/2 a twist in the string and have not touched it since.
The peep rotates into position perfectly every time.

I do know what will be going back on my Patriot when this one needs replacing
Old 05-26-2003, 10:04 PM

I am right now using a custom string made by one of my tournament shooters - 4 time National Champion and record setter. He won' t make them for anyone else; but, he makes me a heck of a string. The last one he made lasted so long that I got antsy about how many shots I had on it. He makes them out of about 22 strands of Premium 452. It takes them a little longer to seat (I guess because of the number of strands); but, one seated, what a string and fantastic peep control.

Winner' s Choice (http://www.winnerschoicestrings.com) is one of the most popular custom sources right now. They are not, however, infallible as you can see. They do make a good string and many tournament shooters swear by them.

The cables that I have on my bow right now are made by George Bowman (http://www.bowmancustomstrings.com). I' ve also used George' s strings with very good success. One thing I' ll say about George is that he takes the time to listen to your needs and goes out of his way to satisfy every individual.

Stone Mountain was not that great a few years ago, but seems to have turned into a good string maker more recently. I really don' t have enough information on their newer products to offer any advice.

I know of a lot of satisfied WC customers and a lot of satisfied Bowman' s Custom Strings customers. The choice is yours.

Then again, we stock a lot of Martin' s strings for the average shooter' s needs. They' re a lot less expensive and do a good job for our standard customer base.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:00 AM

Len in Maryland,

What type of weave do you use when finishing the serving?

I am familiar with the traditional finish that ends with the tag end under the last few wraps of the serving.

Can you elaborate any?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 AM

I' ve had WC and Zebra Twist seperate. I just over served with fast-flight serving and haven' t had a problem since.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:07 PM

I' ll be giving several seminars at the ATA Show in January. This will be one of a slew of techniques taught at the seminars.

Hope you can make it.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:59 PM

i just noticed my string started to really fuzz today.. I have bowwax and waxed the string really good.. is this an indication of anything?? I' m not that familiar on what I need to look for

Quick Reply: serving seperation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.