Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

solo cam dying

Old 05-20-2003, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default solo cam dying

Where do you think the solo cam will be in a few years?Do you think that the solo cam was just a bump in the road for the R&D of the two cam system?Ron
Old 05-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: solo cam dying

To keep this short.

No. Every cam system has its place in the big scheme of things. Each style has its disadvantages as well as its advantages.

It definitely is not the dominant force that it was a few years ago but I sincerely doubt they will ever entirely disappear.

Without them we would not have some of the hybrid designs of today.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:04 AM

I agree with PABwhntr, single cam will stay for long time. Darton and Hoyt will start work together on hybrid cams very soon. We will see more dual cam bows again. I think the good times for us archers is still to come and we will see new designs and better shooting bows for us archers and hunters.

Vodek
Old 05-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are dying, it will be a very slow death, IMO.

The problems with single cams are not really that big a deal for most people, especially with the new, improved string materials.[8D]

It will be nice to go into a pro shop and see something BESIDES single cams so that a person has a choice![]

Last year, I probably would have bought a Hoyt with Command Cam+, but the only one I could find was not in my chosen draw weight. It would have been nice to actually try one before ordering something that I would have been committed to buying.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:57 AM

Myself, I' m not familiar enough with the hybrid cams to coment on their advantages, but the solo cam has some distinct advantages over twin cams, for hunters.

Most hunters are not going to check timing marks, not going to creep tune and are going to be drawn to the most quiet bows. Solo cams do very well in these areas. Most hunters are not going to worry about very small differences in accuracy. They want a worry free bow that is very quiet. I haven' t seen anything that is going to eliminate solos yet. I' m sure their sales will be cut into, but I think we' ll see them around for quite a few more years.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:20 AM

like pabowhunter said they will always have a place, just like dual cams do ,a few years ago some people thought that solo cams would replace dual cams well dual cams are still here and a few years from now who knows what will replace the solo cam as the cam of the day so to speak we will just have to wait and see[]

Old 05-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Pinwheel 12' s official prediction---

Conventional solocams as they stand now will be virtually obsolete within 5 years time. Mathews themselves may or may not still be clinging onto the thread, but I doubt that to be honest, too.

Twins will also be gone for the most part IMO. It will be harder to find both designs as time goes on IMO, due to new and exciting breakthroughs in cam design that are here and will be forthcoming. I can only touch on this for now, but there are some great designs being developed as we speak. Stay tuned.

The hybrid has it all over the solocam as far as ease of tuning, speed, and smoothness goes, and is only matched or bettered by the twin in tunability. They are much quieter and vibration free than twins also, and offer straight and level nock point travel. Darton has pretty much been riding on the CPS for some years now, and Hoyt completely scrapped all of their twins and solos in favor of their cam and a half system. Merlin has also put alot of effort in their hybrid offering, and have also completely scrapped their solocams. Their twins may also follow in the future. Many, many other manufacturers are now looking hard at the hybrids and/or busily designing similar concepts.

That is my official prediction. Maybe we can check the archives in 2010 and see if I was right. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 05-20-2003, 10:33 AM

I don' t think the single cams will go away anytime soon, but I do think that in the future you will only find them on the less expensive, low-end bows.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:44 AM

I have never said that one would die or two would live. I have, however, for the past 6 years been trying to find a cam system that I liked and trusted better than the C/P/S.

I' ve been harrassed by many about my choice of the C/P/S over other designs over the years. Until I can find a better mousetrap, I' ll continue to stick with the C/P/S; but, I' ll always look for something better. Hoyt has done a good job with its design. I haven' t had a chance to evaluate Merlin' s design yet. Merlin has been a lot like Darton - little to no advertising to back up a good engineering group.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:25 AM

I think you' ll also see Mathews develop more bows with the Concentric cams . And others make advancements with wheel bows.

Len , Pinwheel, etc. what is the nock travel like on a 2 wheel bow (like an Icon or BT Pro 40 Wheely) ?

Quick Reply: solo cam dying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.