Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

solo cam dying

Old 05-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: solo cam dying

A few weeks ago, I might have thought it would slow down, but upon my own observations with the problems with the cam&1/2, and reading the vast problems hoyts having on archery talk with timing/string problems, I think the one cam is here to stay.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:08 PM

Pinwheel,

Since you have first hand experience, can you tell us if the new Omega cam is as quiet as one of the more quiet single cam bows? I shot the Hoyt Razortech w/cam 1.5 and it is definitely as quiet as one of the quieter single cams. I' m wondering if it' s Hoyts Bow design or the cam that contributes to this low sound level. If the Merlin' s Omega cam is as quiet as the Hoyts, then I' d be much more interested in their bows.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big John

There is no problems with the cam 1/2.There is a slight timing issue but it is the same with EVERY bow on the planet.

The problem really isn' t a problem.Once the string has been shot in.You put a couple twist in the cable to get the stops to hit at the same time and the problem is over,for good.You would be surprised how well these bows will group downrange even with the stops not hitting at the same time.The only reason I twisted mine was to get the feel of the wall back.The bow still shot just as good but I didn' t hold as well.Some claim they can' t get them to paper tune with the stops out of sinc but I haven' t seen it.I think those having that problem have the stops WAY off.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

RIP The solo cam is dead , just kidding but I' m with pinwheel , dual cam bows for me are much better shooting , faster , and I love the way after you creep tune them and have a properly spined arrow they throw a broadhead equiped arrow dead straight , right where you are poining it . And no you dont have to constantly tune , done on inital setup they stay in tune a long time with the newwer strings . Solocam bows have allways been more finiky for me much more dificult to get good flight with broadheads with one exception my Q2 seems to shoot very well , I think it may be that it is one of the few single cam bows that turely does have " level nock travel" something I believe is crutial to good arrow fight with broadheads . Funny how darton was talk' n about this years ago and some other companies just sidesteped the issue , I' ll bet you hoyt changes their cams next year to " improve" them as their level nock travel claim is' nt quiet up to snuf , at the least I hope they put the timeing marks in the correct place on the cams . Dartons dont have that problem and that is why the pepole who shoot them love um .
Old 05-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ijimmy,who said the timing marks on the Hoyts are not in the right place?Mine are perfect and I had new strings made and timed the cams after settling and they were perfect.I think some people are getting carried away twisting on the cables and blaiming Hoyt.

I also have PERFECT nock travel. Checked with a level !!!

Maybe I just have a good one.

There was one issue with the string length.The string that came from the factory wasn' t the same length as marked on the limb.My new string is the same length as the original.(might be the cause of some of the problems that a very few are having)Hoyt may have made an adjustment to string length after production started and the limb info on the limb might not have been changed.I did get one of the first and this might have been addressed by now.

I did ask the shop owner here if he had any complaints about the new Hoyts and he said absolutely none.No one has reported to him with any problems.

I believe that the hybrids are going to be taking over.Are 1 cams dead,probably not completely but they will be a rare breed in the near future.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:50 PM

TFOX:

Just curious. How did you check the nock travel using a standard level?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:46 PM

IF its up to me s/c will be around for a long time. I just traded a 2003 ultatec for Lx and aai am very happy with the trade
Old 05-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Len I should have elaborated.The bow has been on a shooting machine and when I got it home I set it in a bow vice and checked the string and arrow to see if they were level.I know it was set level in the machine.So it checks level in both positions.Full draw and at not at full draw.Or atleast I was told it was level at full draw.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

The Merlin Omega system is excellent, it is very quiet, yet offers nice speed. They also ran into a few minor inconsistencies with some of their drawlengths on their first version that made them difficult to tune, but have addressed this, replaced the first ones that went out, and now offer the new Omega that offers straight and level nock travel at ALL drawlengths, with easy tuning capabilities to boot. The new version is 70% letoff, modularly adjustable over a 3" range, and picks up approx. 8-10 fps over the original. This system will prove to be a solid, easy-to-tune sytem that will prove itself over time. When you couple it in with the Merlin quality, accuracy, and customer service, it is simply a winning combination tat no-one should overlook. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Old 05-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Very interesting...I think it is a good thing that there varying approaches on how to make a bow perform and it makes looking toward tomorrow exciting.

Mathews could certainly enter the forum and introduce a hybrid that could be two half cams[&:]

Why are the cam 1/2s experiencing an uneven string stretch?To me that would suggest that all things are not equal.One side must be under more tension.Which end is getting the stretch?

Ron

Quick Reply: solo cam dying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.