Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cracked top limb

Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cracked top limb

Any body have a cracked top limb and how did the bow react? Before it blew apart.

Like to know the symptoms. If you had a bottom limb crack be good to compare.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had one bow crack a top limb while I was practicing. I drew back and heard a very faint crack sound. I went ahead and fired the bow and the arrow flew just as it normally did. Sure enough there was a small crack right in the center of the cut out for the idler wheel.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool Listen for noises!

I currently have 3 bows that have developed limb cracks. Two were top limbs, one was a bottom limb. All 3 started making a click or creak sound when drawing the bow. Two of them (both Champions) had a sleeve on the limb bolt that I believe led to the cracks, forcing the limb bolt slot apart. Both of these bows would often make the creak sound on the first draw of the bow, but not on 2nd, 3rd, 4th shots, etc. These were hairline, lengthwise cracks, about 2-2 1/2" up from the limb bolt slot. My Bowtech Pro 38 Dual cam started making the same "tick" sound when drawing, but made this sound every time it was drawn. I had to look closely, but there was a very small crack that looked like an H in the middle of the flexing area of the limb. Once I saw the crack on the Bowtech, I took the bow apart, so I don't know how many shots it would have taken to make it "blow up." I wasn't really interested in making the bow blow up in my face.

BTW, with the one Champion, I did an experiment. After I found the crack (with a magnifying glass), I marked it. After taking the sleeve off both limb bolts, I put the bow back together just to see what it would do. The crack extended through one half of the H in Champion when I found it. I drew the bow several times and looked at the limb again. The crack did not move. I actually shot that bow for another year like that, even shot an 8pt. with it. The crack still hasn't moved or grown any. I don't have those limbs on the bow anymore, as the bow always made a "tick" when drawing it. It still shot well, and the crack never moved. I just decided I probably had pushed my luck far enough.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Spike

Most often it is a "tick" or "click" sound while drawing. Sometime is can be click or "buzz" on release.

Either limb can have the same symptoms however the sound of course will come from upper or lower limb
Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good info. Nothing like first hand experience. So you guys didn't notice a change in impact?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default No change here.

Originally Posted by nodog
Good info. Nothing like first hand experience. So you guys didn't notice a change in impact?
No, but none of the limbs I talked about were even close to really failing. I would think, because of the type of crack, my Bowtech would have raised a pretty big splinter if I had kept shooting it, or it may have died more dramatically. One of my Champions did start to vibrate more, but the other one, like I said is still shootable if I felt like putting it together again. I would agree with anyone who says that what I did was not the best judgement, but I was pretty sure what caused the crack and that it would be OK, and it was.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM
bigcountry

I have had one fly apart I knew about for some time. It can give away at any time. Remember, the tension strength of a limb is in the top 10%. A small crack can give way. Its very violent I assure you.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was working on a bow once that just had a local shop put new strings and cables on.I started to work on it and tried to fire an arrow through his wb through paper and the arrow kicked up so bad it actually broke an ACC.I was floored and started doing some tiller check and it was out well over a 1/2" I bottomed both limbs out and the tiller was still the same.I immediately said he had a weak limb but for the life of me I can't remember which it was.

What really amazed me was a shop installed the new rigging without doing ANY tiller or timing adjustments.They should have caught this quickly.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TFOX
I was working on a bow once that just had a local shop put new strings and cables on.I started to work on it and tried to fire an arrow through his wb through paper and the arrow kicked up so bad it actually broke an ACC.I was floored and started doing some tiller check and it was out well over a 1/2" I bottomed both limbs out and the tiller was still the same.I immediately said he had a weak limb but for the life of me I can't remember which it was.

What really amazed me was a shop installed the new rigging without doing ANY tiller or timing adjustments.They should have caught this quickly.

Shops, I really don't know why some of them even bother.

Your situation was kind of what I was thinking would happen. The others who've commented make the point that it isn't always so.

Good stuff.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would not draw it back again.. Get new limbs. I've had one explode on me, I was lucky I got a black eye a busted lip and had to change my underwear...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.