Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need some advise please!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Guy's I do really appriciate all you sound advice but let me just clear up something and please don't take this the wrong way. When I said I hadn't been involved in shooting, what I was refering to was an everyday 365 thing. Meaning I basically stop shooting the shoots. I do however still hunt pretty heavily and the two are not quit the same. Now because of that I stop hanging out at my local bow shop and interacting with people closer to this industry like yourselfs. If you think this bow is to much for me rest assured it is not. I am not going to say I am a pro by any means but I have a little more experience than most of your "hunters only" shooters. Just a bit rusty and not hip on all the new and improved products out there.

Now about the cables & strings, I realize everyone has their favorites but what I don't know is why they like what they like. You know, what makes one better than the other. Do they fail in some way. Back in the day the fast flight system was the cats meow! I have that system on my Alpine. It is 15 years old and still works as good as it did they day I put it on. Gotta be 3000, maybe more arrows through her and hasn't stretched a bit. If you could fill me in on technical aspects and the pro's & con's, that would help a ton!

Thanks guy's

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 09-13-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well I guess no reply's means things are pretty much the same as it ever was when it comes to strings and cables. How will putting on Winners Circle strings make this bow shoot any better? What makes them the best?

In this sport, most of the time who ever is winning in the ASA or Pro Am series and their using a certian set-up, those components all come to the forefront and everyone jumps on that band wagon. It's been that way for years. Just like when Les Bressler & Tim Crowe were using the fast flight system back in the 90's, all of a sudden that's what everybody was using and I was one of them. Winners sell product! My feeling is when shooters have a problem with a certain set-up 9 times out of 10 the problem wasn't with the product it was with the shooter.

I would be willing to bet that Matt Mcpherson would in no way skimp on one of the most important functional componets on a brand new bow line to take a chance at it being a flop! Zebra's "Barracuda strings" have been out a couple of years now on the Drenalin & Conquest Apex and a lot of the pro's have been using them with great success. I also no that a good majority of the bows the pro's use in the ASA & Pro Am series are Mathews. Then you got your Bowtech's, Hoyt's, & PSE. I wonder why that is? Granted a lot of these pro's all have sponsers and they have to change out whatever stock componets their sponsers markets. So to even say Zebra's strings are junk would be a statement only a child would say and if your going to make that statement back it up with some real time data to prove it. I am all ears!

My feeling is if you have a decent bow and it is set up correctly and you have a little bit of real knowledge on how to keep it that way, what ever it comes with will do what it's suppose to for a long time.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You said that fast flight was good and that is completely against logic.Fast flight constantly creeps from the time you put it on untill you remove it.Draw length constantly changes as well as timing and sync.Peep will rotate as well.TOM Crowe is one of the best and can make adjustments to his equipment in during a tournament when things get off.I have shot with him personally and he is good.Fast Flight is good for 2 things,speed and long lasting.

Cheaper strings today are not nearly as bad as fast flight strings of old but some still don't settle,due to being poorly built.(I will not pay WC prices but they make a quality product)My strings have been on since last winter and I have not touched the bows timing,sync,peep rotation since then and I can still shoot a bareshaft with a fletched one at 20 yards.Peep is perfectly rotated everytime.My draw length is also still dead on.

Quality strings mean consistancy.Zebra strings were junk,Baracuda strings seem to be better from what people are saying.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be willing to bet that Matt Mcpherson would in no way skimp on one of the most important functional componets on a brand new bow line to take a chance at it being a flop! Zebra's "Barracuda strings" have been out a couple of years now on the Drenalin & Conquest Apex and a lot of the pro's have been using them with great success. I also no that a good majority of the bows the pro's use in the ASA & Pro Am series are Mathews. Then you got your Bowtech's, Hoyt's, & PSE. I wonder why that is? Granted a lot of these pro's all have sponsers and they have to change out whatever stock componets their sponsers markets. So to even say Zebra's strings are junk would be a statement only a child would say and if your going to make that statement back it up with some real time data to prove it. I am all ears!
Zebra strings stretch more than any other factory string I have seen other than stock PSE strings. Barracuda strings do not stretch as much as Zebras but they do, in fact, stretch and you will have to adjust them after a couple hundred shots. After about 200 shots they settle down considerably but are still not 100% stable.

Zebra and barracuda strings have absolutely terrible servings. Serving separation and slip abound on these strings. Not only on the cable where it wraps over the cam but even the center serving of the string. They are so loosely wrapped that something as simple as installing a brass nock or string loop will separate the center serving.

If you want a stable string with excelent servings there are many other brands that perform far better than Mathews strings. Bucknasty strings, Vapor Trail, Americas Best, to name a few.

Because Mathews pays more than any other bow manufacturer. These pros are in it for the money. They are good enough to win with what ever bow they have in their hand. Mathews does not have a base of local reps across the country like many other companies do so they have a much much larger advertising budget than many of the other companies. The pros and television personalities are their main advertising and in order to keep the pros and TV personalities they pay them more.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard it out of Mathews pro shooters that they do not use Mathews strings.I heard one pro complaing about them and said none of the othesr shoot them so they were going to start shooting Winners Choice.Not hear say,I was talking to this person myself.

Like I said,I can't speak for barracuda strings.Zebra were junk,Hoyt strings were making some strides to get better but the strings on my AM 35 were junk.

I had my string builder look at them (after I tried to shoot them) and he said they were built poorly.Served incorrectly.

My string builder is a level IV coach and tunes bows/arrows and build strings.Some of his students/tuning and strings have set world records.

He shoots strait,if it is good,he will say it,if it is junk,he will also tell you.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you both for the heads up especially the bad servings on the string. Now I know what to keep my eye on. Seeing that this is Mathews big stab at dual cams, do you think these cables will react any differently on this new AVS system and in a good way. I was kinda curious if it would be hard on cables or just the opposite. Probably, this bow hasn't been out long enough to even know without any real certainty. But maybe you guy's know something. The Alpine I have is dual cammed and hasn't been a problem.

I have always used a brass nock but after seeing the sticky that Greg/MO posted on how he ties his nockset & D loop, I know thats whats going on this new bow. That looks like an excellant set-up worth giving a try no doubt. I'll see if the tech at the shop will do it up for my that way. If he won't I guess I'll do it myself.

Thanks again guy's I really appriciate it.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Thank you both for the heads up especially the bad servings on the string. Now I know what to keep my eye on. Seeing that this is Mathews big stab at dual cams, do you think these cables will react any differently on this new AVS system and in a good way. I was kinda curious if it would be hard on cables or just the opposite. Probably, this bow hasn't been out long enough to even know without any real certainty. But maybe you guy's know something. The Alpine I have is dual cammed and hasn't been a problem.

I have always used a brass nock but after seeing the sticky that Greg/MO posted on how he ties his nockset & D loop, I know thats whats going on this new bow. That looks like an excellant set-up worth giving a try no doubt. I'll see if the tech at the shop will do it up for my that way. If he won't I guess I'll do it myself.

Thanks again guy's I really appriciate it.
Most decent techs will do it very similar to how Greg has posted.

With the materials the strings are being made of today,the 2 cam monster should be fine,provided they are put together properly.I have not messed with the bow in question other than holding it in the shop so I am not going to voice an opinion on the system.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.