Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

problem with my string

Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

Default problem with my string

Today my father in law was looking at my 05 tomkat bow and pulled it back just to check draw. He let it off slowly and heard a noise. When we looked at it the string came off of the top wheel. It's a single cam bow. Why would this happen? He didn't let off hard. thanks for any help.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

If he torqued the bow while letting down, the string can roll off of the cam. Pretty common occurrence, we probably get at least one a week down at the shop I work at.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Spike

my cable slide broke about a week ago and i picked another one up from a local bow shop. It looked a little different than the one that broke. Could that have caused it?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bow that short ATA is not made to be drawn back with fingers. Use an arrow and a release.... every time.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Spike

He was using a release when he pulled it back and didn't pull anyway awkward.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by constant
my cable slide broke about a week ago and i picked another one up from a local bow shop. It looked a little different than the one that broke. Could that have caused it?
The cable slide wouldn't have caused it. Bowtech had a problem with some of the cable slides breaking, so they redesigned the slide to make it stronger, that's why it looks different.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by constant
He was using a release when he pulled it back and didn't pull anyway awkward.

Might be an issue with cam lean then- or a bad bearing causing the lean. But def much easier to torque a string of of todays large cams with minimal string track groove. Mathews redesigned the Monster cams specifically because of this.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Jeremy said, it's easy to torque the bow when trying to let down slowly. I've seen it many times. The trick is to let down quickly, but in a controlling manner. The more reflexed the riser, the shorter the A2A, and the higher the draw weight the more it is apt to happen.

If it's an issue with cam lean or some other bow malfunction you'd be able to see it quite readily. It's normally just operator error.