Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow string

Old 09-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default New bow string

i need a new bow string and cables for my bowtech mighty might,
i would like to put it on myself cuz i got a bow press and the tools needed, plus i'd like to learn all i can about bow work.
couple questions.

can yall give me a link or somthing about how to put the string on and how many twist to put in the string?

whats a good brand string and cables?

how much am i looking at for the string and cables
Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try MeanV on this site for Vapor Trail strings. Also, Gibblet makes Bucknasty strings (first rate). You could be a guinnie pig for me and try H&M. Decent string sets can run anywhere from $50 for H&M to about $100 for Winner's Choice. I've used WC and they are good, but not that much better to justify double the cost.

Best thing you can do to learn how to change them is to take digital pics of both cams and the cable slide to use as a referrence showing the routing on the cam and module..

There should not be any twisting involved. Good custom strings come prestretched and twisted to specs right out of the package. You may have to add or subtract a twist or two for peep orientation or just fine tuning, but they are usually very close.

It's not hard to change them. Do one at a time and be methodical.

I'd recommend changing them and then shooting maybe 50 shots to settle them into the cam grooves and get rid of any initial creep. Then install the peep.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I learned by drawing and taking pics of the bow and how the cables are routed. You also have to get the cables and string on the correct way..the serving is short on one side and long on the other (pay out and take up).

Tips......
Pics and drawings of how the cable and string route....

Use a pencil on the cams and mark where the limbs cross the cam. This makes it easier to set back EXACTLY as it was before you took the old ones off

Check with Bowtech...they will give you EXACT measurements.

H and M Bowstrings are reasonably priced and VERY nice strings!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really solid advice above... much the same way I learned it.... digital cameras are a great learning tool.

Remember that with a single cam bow.... your buss cable will always be to the inside (wrist/hand side) of the control side of your string (the end you do not nock your arrow to).

I mainly use Winner's Choice strings myself. But there are plenty of makers who offer quality strings at lower prices. For the price I get them for, I'd be a fool to mess with anything else personally. I don't think you'll find many negatives about the quality of WC strings.... just some gripes about the price.

Good luck.... it isn't as hard as it seems.... just take your time... take pictures... use common sense.... and don't be afraid to call time out and ask for help.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

I really like scorpion bowstrings! great stuff. Gibblett's strings seem to be really popular too
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Spike

my bow string is 84 3/8"
my cable is 33 3/4"

h&m said he is a backed up a month
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Spike

if you have a manual for your bow, you should have the string/cable routing pictures. Just follow that and make sure which cable is up and which is down where they cross each other. For the twist of the string/cable, too many or too little are not good, you need to test and try to make sure your bow has the factory specification again such as max draw weight, brace height, ata length, etc. It will take longer time than you think to get it right when you do it at the first time.