Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest tune question

Old 09-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rest tune question

Hi all I have a rest setup question. I have been trying to paper tune my bow and cant seem to get it right. I seemed to have had it very close only having a very small tear to the left close enough to think that it is good enough to not worry about it. But when I am shooting at the range I can see the arrow fishtail quite a bit in flight. I looked at the rest (nap quick tune) and noticed that the brushes are getting getting cut up (i am very careful to make sure that **** is up when shooting.) Looking into the issue closer I checked how well everything lines up and saw that it looks like the arrow is a 1/2" off center (to the left) when eying the string, cams and arrow. My sights are also almost out of travel to the left. I was thinking that I may have cable contact and adjusted the cable slide out a little further. I also was thought that maybe with the helical vane I would never have proper clearance in the nap quick tune that I have put my old dropzone back on. I have not had time to shoot yet to see if it helps but is there anytime that with proper clearance and nothing hitting that centershot would be a 1/2" out to the left like that? Is there anything else on the bow I should look at cams, limbs, ect. I originally took off the dropzone because I was having problems tunning the bow and at the advice of the proshop switched to the quick tune.

Thanks for the help

Vince.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Forget paper tuning-for now. I think your arrow's spine is way to weak for your setup and in trying to get a decent tear you've had to adjust your rest way out of whack with your correct center shot. If you don't have any tools to set your centershot and the shop you use is closed nock an arrow and stand over the top of your bow with your bottom cam resting on the ground between your feet. How does your arrow line up with your stabilizer? Probably angling to the left. Line up your arrow so that it is in line with your stabilizer. This will give you a "decent" centershot starting point. Now go shoot your bow-remember your going to have to adjust your sights back to the rt. too. There's a ton of info. on this site and across the web about walk back tuning. read that info. next and proceed accordingly. A rough measurement that works a lot of times for center shot is 13/16". I'm don't know if your riser configuration will work with this measurement to set your centershot but you can try it too. Again, lining things up with your stabilizer and using 13/16" are just starting points. Research- "Walkback Tuning"

Dan
Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

What exactly do you mean when you say 13/16"?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Spike

I think he means putting the center of the arrow or your rest 13/16" off the inside of the riser is a good starting point to set your centershot.

If your setup is as listed in your signature, then I agree that the issue is most likely underspined arrows. Also running to the left chasing them is another sure sign of underspine.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, as Dryridge said, the measurement from the inside of your riser to the center of your arrow.

Dan
Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Ok well i will eye ball it and walk back tune. If it is a spine issue what chart do you guys use when picking arrows? I know with a 29" draw and 60lbs I am on the border of two arrows spines. I just ordered a set of Carbon Force Maximas 250's and I am guessing that they will be under spine also. How much weight do you think i will have to drop to use these arrows?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

When borderline with spine,always go stiffer for hunting.For target,you can get by going to the lighter side.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

I tried to run your arrows in the program I have and it's having a little problem with the weight you have listed in your signature of 463gr. Are you sure that's rt? If you could give me your exact arrow wt., draw wt., draw length, actual arrow length from the front of your insert to the throat of your nock and a speed would help. I see you have 220 fps. listed is that also correct? Also, are your arrows Terminator Hunter Lites? I'll see what I come up with after you give that info.

Dan
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure i bought the bow a few years ago and after sighting it in i shot 3 arrows through a chrono and got average of 220. from what i remember i weighted the arrows on a powder scale with a 100gr. field point and measured them just like you stated. I dont have access to the scale anymore and just measured again and got 29" The arrows say carbon express terminator hunter 4560 on them. No sure what the exact draw weight is but i have it maxed so it should be close to 60 lbs or at least i would think.

Thanks for all of the help you guys are great. I will try and go to walk back tune on tuesday if i have time and i can get the draw weight checked at the local shop.