Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

And if the bow budget is spent on other things...

Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking And if the bow budget is spent on other things...

You can still have fun!

My old Pro 38 Dual Cam, after 8 years, started making a small "tick" when drawing. Close inspection found a small H crack in the upper limb. Finally reworked the bases of a set of Buckmaster G2 limbs, and it is up and shooting again. It gained 1/2" of brace, and lost a few fps.

37.25 ATA, 7.5" brace (without grip) New limbs are 60-72 (old were 50-60.) Limbs are definitely less prestressed and stiffer.

@ 60/29, 320 gr. arrow - 304 fps., 395 gr. @ 277 fps

With factory 50/60 limbs and 1/2" less brace, it used to shoot 286 with the 395 gr. arrows.

@ 70/29, 395 gr. arrow - 298 fps.

Not blazing fast, but not bad. Best thing is that recoil is reduced and noise? What noise? Much quieter, even without Limbsavers.

I'm pleased.
Attached Thumbnails And if the bow budget is spent on other things...-frankenstein-9-09.jpg  

Last edited by JOE PA; 09-05-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Spike

Cool. Way to show that old mountainman inginuity.

I put a new set of limbs on a Jennings T-Star in about 1986 for a guy. He never really shot it as it was his backup bow. He got an older Horton Compound Crossbow off a guy for nothing and took those limbs off that TStar and cut them to length, drilled the holes for the brackets with a new bit for each hole to get it good. Put it all together and used it to hunt with last year...taking a deer and a turkey with it. Did I mention he was 84yrs old!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Thanks

This is my 6th Frankenstein bow. I figured I could get on Barnsdale's list and wait a year, or do something in the meantime. The youngest kid got a Razor's Edge, and just yesterday I got him a target .22 rifle since he wants to join the rifle team at school. I can wait for something new. I have 3 bows that all shoot pretty well as it is.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Jeff- I missed this thread.

Looks good! And seems like a good trade-off for the decrease in speed.

Good luck with barnsdale- we have had a customers Barnsdale bow in the shop for a few months because one of his limbs delaminated- Barnsdale couldn't even get a exact replacement set in for the customer. The customers bow had beautiful Zebrawood lams on face and back, and all barnsdale could muster to get the customer shooting again after all this time was a different set of used gloss black limbs for a different model Barnsdale- the customers bow ended up having about an inch shorter brace height and peak weights were different.

You would think Barnsdale even as busy as he is, would get his customer sorted out with the correct replacements ASAP. The black limbs gets the customer shooting/hunting until the correct limbs are done, but I know *I* would be miffed (I don't know how the customer felt-he may have picked it up already, I'm not sure)